Coordinate plane in mathematica

In summary, you can use the Plot function in Mathematica to graph single points or draw a coordinate plane with boxes. The Mathematica documentation on Plot functions contains useful information. It is possible to plot multiple things on the same graph by adjusting the axes limits and using different colors and point radii. The help browser also provides information on the different options for plots.
heartless
How can I graph single points on the graph in Mathematica? Or draw whole coordinate plane, with *boxes*, like this one: (and then plot)

S2U4L1GLgrid.gif

Can't find the informations in the tutorial I'm using presently,
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the mathematica documentation on the various Plot functions to have a lot of useful information.

I think it's possible to plot multiple things on the same graph. So, one thing you could do is to plot each of those horizontal and vertical lines with a blue color and small point radius (or maybe you want a small line thickness?). And then on the same drawing object (or whatever it's called), you then plot the thing you actually want to plot.

If you go into the help browser and type in "plot" you will get the info for the plot command. There are probably 30 or so options for plots. I would have to fool around with it because I have not tried it myself. You would definitely have to plot some kind of function, but I think you could adjust the axes limits to exclude the plot.

1. What is a coordinate plane in Mathematica?

A coordinate plane in Mathematica is a two-dimensional grid used to plot and visualize mathematical equations and data. It consists of two perpendicular number lines, the x-axis and y-axis, which intersect at the origin (0,0).

2. How do I plot points on a coordinate plane in Mathematica?

To plot points on a coordinate plane in Mathematica, use the ListPlot function and input the coordinates of the points as a list. For example, ListPlot[{{1,2}, {3,4}, {5,6}}] will plot the points (1,2), (3,4), and (5,6) on the coordinate plane.

3. Can I change the scale and labels of the coordinate plane in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the Ticks function to customize the scale and labels of the coordinate plane. For example, Ticks -> {Table[i, {i, 0, 10}], Table[i, {i, 0, 20}]} will change the tick marks on the x-axis to go from 0 to 10 and the tick marks on the y-axis to go from 0 to 20.

4. How do I plot multiple equations on the same coordinate plane in Mathematica?

To plot multiple equations on the same coordinate plane in Mathematica, use the Plot function and input the equations as a list. For example, Plot[{x^2, 2x+1}, {x, -5, 5}] will plot the equations y=x^2 and y=2x+1 on the same coordinate plane.

5. Can I add labels and titles to my coordinate plane in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the PlotLabel and PlotLegends functions to add labels and titles to your coordinate plane. For example, PlotLabel -> "Graph of Equations", PlotLegends -> {"Equation 1", "Equation 2"} will add a title and legend to your plot of two equations.