1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinates at which 2 tangent lines of a function pass through a single point

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    Here is what the question asks:

Find the coordinate of all points in the graph of y=3e^x - x^3 at which the tangent line passes through the point (1,0).

----------------------------

I am told that the 2 points are (-.872, -1.027) and (2.275, 13.657). Any help at all that you can give will be very much appreciated.

I was thinking of letting the 2 coordinates be (X1, Y1) and (X2, Y2), calculating the slope of the line through (1,0) and one of these points, and setting this slope equal to the derivative of y=3e^x - x^3 ......but I seem to be going no where.

Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the slope of the derivative would be the slope of the tangent at what point on the line?

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the equation for the tangent line at the point (a,f(a))?

By the way. This final expression is nasty to solve. I think you'll need a computer to evaluate the answers numerically in the end.

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    Alright -- the final equation i get is 6e^x + 2x^3 - 3x^2 - 3xe^x = 0

The 2 answers that the book gives work in this equation......but how the hell would I solve this?

If I were to set 6e^x + 2x^3 - 3x^2 - 3xe^x equal to y in my calculator and graph it, is there a way for the calculator to tell you the x-intercepts?

EDIT - Never mind - I figure it out! Thanks for helping out.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  6. Nov 11, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Newton's Method?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?