Copper or Brass exhaust manifold.

In summary, someone suggested using a silver compound to braid or solder together a copper coil for a heat exchanger on an exhaust manifold. They think it will hold up to high temperatures, and that stainless is a better material choice for the pipe and manifold.
MachX
Hello All,

I am drawing up a design for a water-cooled exhaust manifold for a small engine. It would be a simple design of an exhaust exit pipe mounted to a flange, with a tubular copper heat exchanger liquid filled coil wrapped around the exit pipe right near the cylinder.

The copper would have to be soldered or brazed. Normal plumbing solder melts at around 400 degrees F. I know exhaust gases can exceed this, therefore I would worry about the joint melting and the exhaust assembly falling apart.

My question is, if I were to braze this copper together with a silver compound with a higher melting temp, would it hold? What exhaust temperatures would I expect straight out of the cylinder of a 35cc 4-stroke engine? I would like to use copper or brass for the heat conductive qualities and corrosion resistance, and to be able to braze/solder the coiled heat exchanger to the exhaust pipe. Any thoughts? should I use aluminum?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Exhaust gas from automotive and motorcycle engines can exceed 1800°F near the cylinder head. Since the manifolds and tubing typically dissipate heat rapidly, the external surface temperature drops pretty quickly along the length of the system.

I don't have data for smaller engines, and without measurements from your actual system, I can't even guess what you should expect to encounter.

A local welding supply store should be able to provide the proper brazing flux and filler rod for handling temps well over 1000°F.

I would not use copper since it is a very soft metal and subject to failure by fatigue.

Thanks for the input. Someone mentioned somewhere that exhaust gasses through copper will create copper disulphide. Not sure about this, but I don't want to create any extra carcinogens. The main reason I wanted to use copper was to pull heat away from the engine, but as mentioned I feel like if I make a manifold, the heating and cooling effect would eventually fatigue and stress the joint enough to fail. I think I am going to use stainless for the pipe and manifold itself, and then use silver solder to braze the copper coil heat-exchanger to the outside of the stainless tube. This way at least it won't fail and fall apart.

1. What is the difference between copper and brass exhaust manifold?

Copper and brass are both metal alloys, but they have different compositions. Copper is primarily made up of copper atoms, while brass is a combination of copper and zinc atoms. This difference in composition leads to differences in properties such as strength, heat resistance, and corrosion resistance.

2. Which is a better material for an exhaust manifold, copper or brass?

It depends on the specific needs of the exhaust manifold. Copper has higher thermal conductivity and is better suited for high temperature applications, while brass has better corrosion resistance. Therefore, if the exhaust manifold will be exposed to high temperatures, copper may be a better choice. If corrosion is a concern, brass may be a better option.

3. Is a copper or brass exhaust manifold more expensive?

In general, copper is a more expensive material than brass. However, the cost of the exhaust manifold will also depend on other factors such as the size and complexity of the design.

4. How long can a copper or brass exhaust manifold last?

The lifespan of a copper or brass exhaust manifold will depend on various factors such as usage, maintenance, and exposure to heat and corrosive materials. With proper care and maintenance, these materials can last for many years.

5. Can a copper or brass exhaust manifold be repaired if it gets damaged?

Yes, both copper and brass can be repaired if they get damaged. However, the extent of the damage and the expertise of the technician will determine how easily and effectively it can be repaired. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the exhaust manifold rather than repair it.