Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Copper tubes in air conditioners quick questionsneed ur help ly

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    Copper tubes in air conditioners...quick questions..need ur help urgently..

hey there..
    I have an assignment where I have to choose a material and research about..
    anyway, I chose to talk about copper tubes in air conditioners..My question is..
    what is the function of this tube?
    What is the most distinctive characteristic/property that makes manufacturers choose copper to be used in the manufacturing of these tubes?
    Finally, I read that an amount of phosphorus(P) or silver(Ag) is added to the copper.. Why is phosphorus/silver added to the copper?
    I appreciate ur help coz by answering these questions I'll understand so many things, and ill be able to finish my assignment..
    Need ur help!! plz..!!
    Thanks in advance..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    Re: Copper tubes in air conditioners...quick questions..need ur help urgently..

hey again..
    no 1 has ne idea?
    I came 2 know that brass is used in the air conditioners..but what is the tube or fitting the aircondiotioner used 4? what's it's function?
    and is there a kind of test that tests the corrosive property of an alloy or element?
    I really neeeed ur help..pllllz..
    just 4 these 2 questions..4get about the one above!
    thanx again in advance..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?