1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cord Oscillates, Tension Changes

1. Jul 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A chord with linear density μ = 0.00160 kg/m, is stretched between two holders, which have a distance of 0.480 m between them (so the length of the chord is L = 0.480 m). The chord doesn't stretch enough to notice, when the tension T gradually goes from 15.0 N at t = 0s, to 25.0 N, at t = 3.50 s. So, T = 15.0 N + 10.0 kgm/s3*t/3.50. During that time, the chordoscillates with the fundemental, normal way of oscillation. How many complete oscillations will it cover in that time?

2. Relevant equations

v = λ*f
    v = sqrt(T/μ)

3. The attempt at a solution

Dunno what to do here, really. When I heard fundemental, I figured it was a case of standing waves, so I went ahead and tried finding the frequency (from the formula f = n/2L * sqrt(T/μ), with n = 1) at 0s, then at 3.50s, finding the average f, then finding the Period T (f = 1/T), and finding how many times T fits in the 3.50s timespan. But obviously that was wrong.

To be fair, I don't know what to do here. I've never seen anything like this, with the Tension gradually chaning, and the chord being described as merely oscillating instead of producing a standing wave or something.

Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The chord is oscillating in a standing wave.

Think in terms of infinitesimals. If dN is the number of oscillations during a time dt, how would you express dN in terms of f and dt?

4. Jul 20, 2017 #3
    Technically the definition of frequency is the number of revisions/oscillations divided by the timespan, f = N/Δt. For an infinitely small timeframe, logically, f = dN/dt.

Now, it oscillates as a standing wave, with the fundemental frequency, so f = 1/2L * sqrt(T/μ), right?

5. Jul 20, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You know T as a function of t.

6. Jul 21, 2017 #5
    So I have:

dN/dt = 1/2L * sqrt(15.0 + 10.0dt/3.50 / 0.00160)

How does that help me though? Will I have to square both sides of the equation?

(dN/dt)2 = 1/4L2 * ((15 + 10.0dt/3.5)/0.00160)

If I put all the numbers in (L = 0.480), I get dN = sqrt(10168.1 + 1938.7dt)*dt

If I put in dt = t = 3.50s, then N = 457, which is different from the book's answer, 407. Did I make an error in the multiplications and whatnot, or was my whole line of thinking wrong?

7. Jul 21, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rearrange dN/dt = f to get dN = f dt. In this problem f is a function of time.

Have you studied calculus? If so, what calculus operation would you apply to dN = f dt in order to get the total number of oscillations, N, that occur between t = 0 and t = 3.5 s?

8. Jul 22, 2017 #7
    Oh yeah, I just have to integrate it, darn it. I thought about it when I saw the formula for T, but I figured it was too complex with the square root and all that. Anyway:

dN = ∫3.50 (1/2L * sqrt(T/μ))*dt = ... = 1/0.960 ∫3.50 sqrt(9375 + 1787.5t)*dt

I set 9375 + 1787.5t = u => dt = du/1787.5

dN = 1/1716 ∫3.50 u1/2 du = 1/1716[2/3 * u3/2]3.50

I didn't modify the edges of the integral, so where I have u, I replace it with (9375 + 1787.5t) and do the math.

In the end I get 406.6, which rounded up is 407, the book's answer. Any mistakes are just due to the Significant Digits during the math.

Thanks a ton for the help, I really appreciate it!

9. Jul 22, 2017 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You integrate both sides of the equation, so the left side is not dN, but ∫dN.

OK. Good work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted