Coriolis effect on a river flowing north-east?

In summary, the conversation discusses a river with specific width, direction, and speed, and the question of which side of the river has deeper water. The only correction needed is -2m(omega cross v), with the unknown variable being omega which is the angular velocity of the Earth. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the meaning of v as the velocity of the river in vector form.
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

Consider a river of width 1000 m flowing 30 degrees east of north with a speed of 10m/s at latitude 50 degrees north. The river bottom is flat. On which side of the river is the water deeper and by how much?

Homework Equations

the only correction i need to use is -2m(omega cross v). I can't figure out what omega is.. then after that I don't know what to do. Any help?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started it and drawn a diagram, but after that I'm lost.. any help would be great! thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi khfrekek92! :smile:
khfrekek92 said:
the only correction i need to use is -2m(omega cross v). I can't figure out what omega is..

ω is the angular velocity of the Earth …

it goes through the Earth's axis :wink:

Sorry! I meant I don't know what v is, is it the velocity of the river in vector form?

khfrekek92 said:
Sorry! I meant I don't know what v is, is it the velocity of the river in vector form?

yes of course

1. What is the Coriolis Effect?

The Coriolis Effect is a phenomenon caused by the Earth's rotation that deflects the path of objects, including air and water, moving over its surface. This deflection is to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

2. How does the Coriolis Effect affect rivers flowing north-east?

The Coriolis Effect has a minimal impact on rivers flowing north-east because the direction of the river is already aligned with the Earth's rotation. However, the effect may slightly alter the path of the river due to changes in wind patterns and pressure systems.

3. Can the Coriolis Effect make a river flow in the opposite direction?

No, the Coriolis Effect cannot make a river flow in the opposite direction. The direction of a river is primarily determined by the landscape and topography of the area, not the Earth's rotation.

4. Does the Coriolis Effect impact the speed of a river flowing north-east?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect can affect the speed of a river flowing north-east. In the Northern Hemisphere, the deflection to the right creates a smaller radius of curvature, which can increase the velocity of the river. However, this is a very small effect and is often insignificant compared to other factors that impact river speed.

5. How does the Coriolis Effect affect the shape of a river flowing north-east?

The Coriolis Effect does not significantly impact the shape of a river flowing north-east. However, it may contribute to slight meandering or curving of the river, as the deflection to the right can cause the river to shift slightly in that direction over time.