Correlation between Symmetry number & Total wavefunction

In summary: And to answer your question, the quote is compatible because in the more detailed model I mentioned, the total wave function will have to be antisymmetric under exchange of a proton and a neutron. In summary, at the quantum level, there are "forbidden" rotational quantum states for a rotating particle due to the requirement of the total wavefunction being either symmetrical or anti-symmetrical, depending on the particle being a fermion or boson. In the classical regime, these states are excluded using a symmetry number based on the physical structure of a molecule. The correction values for both quantum and classical approaches are found to be the same, suggesting a deep correlation between a molecule's physical structure and its allowed rotational quantum states. However, this
JohnnyGui
TL;DR Summary
If the classical symmetry number must come from quantum mechanics and has the same correction value, is there somehow a deep correlation between a molecule's physical structure and its allowed rotational quantum states based on the total wavefunction being symmetrical/anti-symmetrical? And how can this correlation be explained?
Some rotational quantum states are not allowed for a rotating particle. At quantum level, these "forbidden" quantum states is based on the requirement of the total wavefunction being either symmetrical or anti-symmetrical, depending on whether the particle is a fermion or boson. The particle's rotational partition function therefore only sums up the quantum states with the allowed ##J## values. Source

In the classical regime, the exclusion of these "forbidden" quantum states is done by using the so-called symmetry number ##\sigma## instead, which is based on the number of physical orientations of a molecule that are indistinguishable because of its physical symmetrical structure. Explanation on Page 2

The first source is stating, starting from Page 6, that the symmetry number is of classical mechanical origin but at the same time, must come from quantum mechanics. It then proceeds to show with calculations that they have the same correction value for excluding the forbidden quantum states.

If the classical symmetry number must come from quantum mechanics and has the same correction value, is there somehow a deep correlation between a molecule's physical structure and its allowed rotational quantum states based on the total wavefunction being symmetrical/anti-symmetrical? And how can this correlation be explained?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JohnnyGui said:
It is simply that rotation by π is the same as the inversion or mirror symmetry when two nuclei are identical.

DrClaude said:
It is simply that rotation by π is the same as the inversion or mirror symmetry when two nuclei are identical.

But whether the total wavefunction is symmetric/anti-symmetric depends on the spins of the nuclei, not on whether the nuclei are identical or not. It goes even further by the fact that the total wavefunction of e.g. dihydrogen can be symmetrical even if the two atoms have opposed spins.

So it makes me question how a correction based on physical structural symmetry is somehow linked to a correction based on wavefunction symmetry derived from nuclear spins (as well as other wavefunctions such as rotation)

JohnnyGui said:
whether the total wavefunction is symmetric/anti-symmetric depends on the spins of the nuclei

Yes.

JohnnyGui said:
not on whether the nuclei are identical or not.

No. The wave function of a system consisting of two non-identical nuclei (say helium and iron) does not have to be symmetric or antisymmetric.

Of course if you use a more detailed model where, instead of nuclei, you view the system as composed of protons and neutrons, the total wave function will have to be antisymmetric under exchange of a pair of protons or a pair of neutrons. But it won't have to be antisymmetric under exchange of a proton and a neutron.

PeterDonis said:
But it won't have to be antisymmetric under exchange of a proton and a neutron.

Does "won't have to" imply that it is still possible to stay antisymmetric? Because in that case, the classical symmetry number would still not have a clear link (to me) since it relies on the physical indenticality of particles.

Last edited:
JohnnyGui said:
Does "won't have to" imply that it is still possible to stay antisymmetric?

I don't know what you mean by "stay antisymmetric".

PeterDonis said:
I don't know what you mean by "stay antisymmetric".

I understood that specific phrase "won't have to be" as in "not obliged to be" which made me think that it is also possible for such a model to be antisymmetric under exchange of a proton and neutron as well, just as in the exchange of a proton pair or neutron pair.
But I assume you meant that "it has to" be symmetric under exchange of a proton and a neutron?

Which in that case shows that not only nuclear spin, but also the identicality of particles determine whether a total wavefunction should be symmetrical or antisymmetrical?

JohnnyGui said:
I understood that specific phrase "won't have to be" as in "not obliged to be" which made me think that it is possible for such a model to be antisymmetric under exchange of a proton and neutron as well

I don't think there are wave functions that are antisymmetric (or, for that matter, symmetric) under the exchange of a proton or [Edit: and] a neutron. That would require that the two states (before and after exchange) were physically indistinguishable, and they're not.

JohnnyGui said:
assume you meant that "it has to" be symmetric under exchange of a proton and a neutron?

No. See above.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
I don't think there are wave functions that are antisymmetric (or, for that matter, symmetric) under the exchange of a proton or a neutron.

"proton or neutron" as in exchange of a proton pair "or" neutron pair? If yes, could you please elaborate how this quote is compatible with this:

PeterDonis said:
the total wave function will have to be antisymmetric under exchange of a pair of protons or a pair of neutrons

I am a bit confused.

JohnnyGui said:
"proton or neutron" as in exchange of a proton pair "or" neutron pair?

I should have said proton and neutron--i.e., exchanging one proton with one neutron. Sorry for the typo. I have edited my previous post to clarify.

What is the correlation between symmetry number and total wavefunction?

The symmetry number refers to the number of symmetry operations that a molecule possesses, while the total wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a molecule. The correlation between these two factors is that the symmetry number impacts the total wavefunction by determining the number of unique wavefunctions that can describe the molecule's behavior.

How does the symmetry number affect the total wavefunction?

The symmetry number affects the total wavefunction by limiting the number of unique wavefunctions that can describe the molecule's behavior. This is because the symmetry number determines the number of symmetry operations that can be applied to the molecule without changing its overall shape or properties.

What does a higher symmetry number indicate about the total wavefunction?

A higher symmetry number indicates that the molecule has a higher number of symmetry operations and therefore a more restricted range of possible wavefunctions. This means that the total wavefunction will have fewer unique solutions and will be more predictable in its behavior.

Is there a direct relationship between symmetry number and total wavefunction?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between symmetry number and total wavefunction. As the symmetry number increases, the number of unique wavefunctions that can describe the molecule decreases. This means that there is a strong correlation between these two factors.

How does the symmetry number impact the overall symmetry of a molecule?

The symmetry number directly impacts the overall symmetry of a molecule by determining the number of symmetry operations that can be applied to it. A higher symmetry number means that the molecule has a higher level of symmetry and is more predictable in its behavior. This can be useful in understanding the properties and behavior of molecules in various chemical reactions.