1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology books for a beginner

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    Hello,

I am looking for some of the best books regarding cosmology, parallel universes, time travel, dimensions, quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, etc. for a layman. I am interested in the subject and would love to learn more about it. Any advice of where to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

John Gribbin "In search of the big bang" is a good maths free intro.
    Simon Singh "The big bang" well written but more about the people than the physics?
    Steven Weinberg "The first three minutes" is a slightly more detailed description by one of the top researchers.

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    Read "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Green. It covers topics like parallel universes, extra dimensions, sparticles, superstrings and a new discipline called String Theory.

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4
    I suggest you take a look at my website, in particular the book reviews, where I look at lots of books of this type.

6. Nov 13, 2007 #5
    Shrodingers kittens and Shrodingers cat by John Gribbin --> quantumn theory

and Universe by Freedman and Kaufmann --> cosmology, some astrophysics. Not highly mathematical and well written.

7. Nov 13, 2007 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?