Cosmology books for a beginner

1. Hello,

I am looking for some of the best books regarding cosmology, parallel universes, time travel, dimensions, quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, etc. for a layman. I am interested in the subject and would love to learn more about it. Any advice of where to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

John Gribbin "In search of the big bang" is a good maths free intro.
    Simon Singh "The big bang" well written but more about the people than the physics?
    Steven Weinberg "The first three minutes" is a slightly more detailed description by one of the top researchers.

4. Read "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Green. It covers topics like parallel universes, extra dimensions, sparticles, superstrings and a new discipline called String Theory.

5. I suggest you take a look at my website, in particular the book reviews, where I look at lots of books of this type.

6. Shrodingers kittens and Shrodingers cat by John Gribbin --> quantumn theory

and Universe by Freedman and Kaufmann --> cosmology, some astrophysics. Not highly mathematical and well written.

7. Chronos

Chronos 10,225
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?