Cosmology/Fridmann equation exercises around the web?

In summary, the conversation was about the Friedmann equation and the search for exercises and problems related to it. The OP was looking for websites or professors' homepages that could provide this material. Some suggestions were given, including Wikipedia and a website with a good explanation for the FRW metric. The OP also mentioned difficulties in finding exercises with solutions and asked for recommendations on books with exercises.
jacdiam89
Hello, I'm looking for exercises and problems about the Friedmann equation. For example: calculate the redshift, H0, scale factor, temperature, horizons etc given the model of universe. Does anyone know some website, or professors homepages, in which i could find this stuff?

Thank you :)

Jacopo

Space news on Phys.org
You might find a few useful things here: http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch08/ch08.html

Chronos said:

The OP was asking for exercises, not derivations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ok thank you, the website is interesting (it also gives a good explanation for frw metric etc). I realized is very difficult to find exercises with solutions, my book (Cosmologia e Cosmologie, Bonometto) has only theory, but my professor asks a lot of exercises in the exam. I have 3 or 4 exercises of past exams, but i can't use only theese to reach a good preparation. I will continue to search!

I think "Liddle" book in cosmology is a good one to start with. What about Steven Weinberg's textbook on cosmology. I think it has plenty of exercise in it.

Thank you for the 2 books, I'm trying to find some informations on the web, like the index, to see if there is a good exercise section.

1. What is the Friedmann equation and what does it represent?

The Friedmann equation, named after the Russian physicist Alexander Friedmann, is a fundamental equation in cosmology that describes the expansion of the universe. It represents the relationship between the rate of expansion of the universe and the matter and energy content of the universe.

2. How is the Friedmann equation derived?

The Friedmann equation is derived from Einstein's field equations in general relativity, which describe the curvature of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy. By assuming a homogeneous and isotropic universe, the Friedmann equation can be derived as a solution to these equations.

3. What is the significance of the Friedmann equation in cosmology?

The Friedmann equation is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the expansion of the universe. It also allows us to make predictions about the past and future evolution of the universe, and has been confirmed by numerous observations and experiments.

4. How is the Friedmann equation used in cosmological models?

The Friedmann equation is used in cosmological models to determine the evolution of the universe over time. By inputting different values for the matter and energy content of the universe, we can create different models that can help us understand the structure and dynamics of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to the Friedmann equation?

Yes, there are limitations to the Friedmann equation. It assumes a homogeneous and isotropic universe, which may not be true on small scales. It also does not account for the effects of dark energy, which is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe. Additionally, the equation does not take into account the effects of other fundamental forces, such as gravity and electromagnetism.