1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology: Horizon of the universe

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is what the question says exactly:

Assume the universe today is flat with both matter and a cosmological constant but no radiation. Compute the horizon of the Universe as a function of [tex]\Omega[/tex]M and sketch it. (You will need a computer or calculator to do this).

2. Relevant equations
    Friedmann Equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I took the Friedmann Equation with k and the radiation density as 0 and solved it to find a(t). I got:

a = [tex](\frac{\Omega_{\Lambda}}{\Omega_{M0}})^{-1/3}[/tex][tex][sin(\frac{3H_{0}(\Omega_{M0})^{1/2}t}{2}[/tex]]2/3

Latex takes ages so I don't really want to go through how I got there, but I'm pretty sure of it. Then I assumed the question is talking about the particle horizon rather than the event horizon. Either way I need to integrate 1 over this wrt t. Is this analytically possible, or is this the bit where I need a computer? The next part of the question asks me for the current horizon size if [tex]\Omega_{M0}[/tex] = 1/3 and h=1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], where I think h is something to do with H0. Just in case that next part is a clue to what I need to do.

Thanks for any help people!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
    Your on the right track. Though your scale factor seems to have one error in it: the [itex]\Omega_M^{1/2}[/itex] in the argument for sin should actually be [itex](\Omega_M-1)^{1/2}[/itex]. (check out equation 6.26 in "Introduction to Cosmology" by Ryden)

Yes, just integrate over 1/a times the speed of light to get the particle horizon. It does look like doing a numerical integral on a computer would be easiest.

On the second part of the problem, the parameter h is the hubble constant in units of 100 km/s/Mpc. So if h = 1/sqrt(2) then that means that H_0 ~ 70.7 km/s/Mpc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook