Cost of 41kW Motor for 32 Weeks: $17,633.28

  • Thread starter Thread starter Onoff32
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Onoff32
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If I calculate that a motor needs 41kW continuously throughout a day to run, and it costs $0.08 per kWh to run, to calculate the cost of this for 32 weeks, I would do 41 x 24hours x 7days x 32weeks x $0.08 = $17633.28

is this a correct way of working it out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Onoff32 said:

Homework Statement



If I calculate that a motor needs 41kW continuously throughout a day to run, and it costs $0.08 per kWh to run, to calculate the cost of this for 32 weeks, I would do 41 x 24hours x 7days x 32weeks x $0.08 = $17633.28

is this a correct way of working it out?
Your number is are correct, but your units don't make any sense.

Here's what you should have, including the appropriate units.
##41 kW \times 24 \frac{\text{hours}}{\text{day}} \times 7 \frac{\text{days}}{\text{week}} \times 32 \text{weeks} \times .08 \frac{$}{\text{kWh}} = $17,633.28##.
The day units cancel, the week units cancel, and the kWh units cancel, so you're left with dollar units.
41 kW times 1 hour = 41 kWh, or 1 kW times 41 hours = 41 kWh, as well.
 
Would that work for generation as well? If a generator puts out 1MegaWatt then it would follow that
1MW x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year=8,760 MWh or 8,760,000 kWH? Thank you
 
CherryB said:
Would that work for generation as well? If a generator puts out 1MegaWatt then it would follow that
1MW x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year=8,760 MWh or 8,760,000 kWH? Thank you
That's what I get, so I'll say the answer is yes.
Though a nit-picky person might say you forgot the "per year": 8,760,000 kWH per year
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CherryB