Calculating Daily Operating Cost for a Motor at Rated Load

In summary, the motor operates at 10 hp for 8 hours a day with an efficiency of 87%. To calculate the daily cost of operation, we need to convert 10 hp to watts (which is 7460 watts) and factor in the efficiency and operating time. Once we have the power used in watts, we can convert it to energy used in kWh and multiply it by the cost of electricity (5 cents/kWh) to get the daily cost of operation.
holy_kamote

Homework Statement

a motor operates at its rated load of 10 hp for 8.0 h a day. its efficiency is 87 percent. what is the daily cost of operation if electric energy costs 5 cents/kWh?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i convert 10 hp to watts
10 x 746=7460 watts
then i multiply the 7460 with 5 cents and i get 37.3cents/daily cost...
is my answer correct? if not plsss post some idea on how i can solve that ty very much...

Physics news on Phys.org
help me plsssss. coz we will have a boardwork tomorrow ..

You are missing a couple of things. The motor is operating for 8 hours each day...you didn't factor that in. Also, you didn't factor in the efficiency rating. If the motor is rated at 10 hp , that's how much power you get out of it...but more power has to go into it due to the inefficiency losses within the motor, and that's what you pay for.

what formula will i use to solve this prob?... thanks sir jay for posting in my topic.

Please show an attempt at a solution. If the motor is 87% efficient, the power into the motor is greater than 10 hp. First calculate that number. Then once you get that power, how would you convert it to energy used (kWh) in 8 hours? We can't be of much more help unless you show some attempt. Thanks.

Related to Calculating Daily Operating Cost for a Motor at Rated Load

1. What is the relationship between work, energy, and power?

The relationship between work, energy, and power is that work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, and power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, work is the amount of energy transferred, and power is the speed at which the transfer occurs.

2. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula is: work (W) = force (F) x distance (d).

3. What is the unit of measurement for energy?

The unit of measurement for energy is the joule (J). However, other units such as kilojoules (kJ) and calories (cal) are also commonly used.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed in a work energy and power problem?

No, energy cannot be created or destroyed in a work energy and power problem. The law of conservation of energy states that energy can only be transformed from one form to another.

5. How do you calculate power?

Power is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do the work. The formula is: power (P) = work (W) / time (t). The unit of measurement for power is the watt (W).