Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could a moving object become a black hole?

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    it's my first time here. frankly, i have to say that I have limit knowledge of general relativity. as to special relativity, just walk a step after opening the door of relativity theory. meantime, I always take part in some discussions in another forums which is hold with different language in my country. we had lots of fun and get some progress too. I hope it is a good chance for me to communicate with u guys with different education background. and thx to u all....

back to the topic:

we all know that the mass of an object increases when it moves faster. according to the general relativity, a black hole could be formed if the mass of an object approaches beyond a certain mass point. here is my question, could a moving object become a black hole, when the speed is large enough?:confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Fast rockets

Hi, erocket, welcome to PF!

Kinetic energy, actually, just like in Newtonian physics. (Except that KE increase faster with v in relativity, indeed blows up as [itex]v \rightarrow 1[/itex].)

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    thx very much.
    I am reading the articles u proposed to me ...

I think I come to the right place ...here i can see and learn much things that I like//
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?