Could an ion engine attached to a satellite be used to stabilize orbit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of orbital decay for satellites not at Lagrange points and the potential use of ion engines to offset this decay. It also mentions the stability of most orbits and the practicality of refueling in space. The possibility of using an ion stabilizer to maintain a lower orbit is also mentioned, with the GOCE satellite serving as an example.
vjk2
Basically, my understanding is that every satellite that is not at a lagrange point will see its orbit eventually decay and it will crash back into the earth. Could an ion engine be set to fire at certain times to offset this? Because the rate of decay is slow, an ion engine might be up for it.

also, how does the procedure go for keeping the ISS boosted in orbit? I'd worry about vibration

Astronomy news on Phys.org
vjk2 said:
Basically, my understanding is that every satellite that is not at a lagrange point will see its orbit eventually decay and it will crash back into the earth.
No. Orbital decay is related to air drag, and does not depend on other planets/moons/sun. It is relevant for low Earth orbits.
Apart from orbital decay, most orbits are stable or nearly stable (i. e. have a timescale of thousands of years or more).
Just two lagrangian points are stable, the other 3 are unstable and need corrections.

Could an ion engine be set to fire at certain times to offset this? Because the rate of decay is slow, an ion engine might be up for it.
It can. Other propulsion systems are easier to build, however, and the total required velocity change over the lifetime of satellites is usually small.

Video of a boost
The acceleration is low, and I don't see significant vibrations.

mfb said:
No. Orbital decay is related to air drag, and does not depend on other planets/moons/sun. It is relevant for low Earth orbits.
Apart from orbital decay, most orbits are stable or nearly stable (i. e. have a timescale of thousands of years or more).
Just two lagrangian points are stable, the other 3 are unstable and need corrections.

It can. Other propulsion systems are easier to build, however, and the total required velocity change over the lifetime of satellites is usually small.

Video of a boost
The acceleration is low, and I don't see significant vibrations.

Thanks. Didn't realize how low the ISS orbited.

512px-Comparison_satellite_navigation_orbits.svg.png

I figure that a small ion engine could be run without needing refueling from solar energy.

Satellites usually need electric energy anyway - there are some passive reflectors in space, but most satellites are supposed to receive and send data in some way.
And refueling in space is impractical for everything apart from space stations and maybe expensive telescopes.

What I'm saying is that a satellite could stay in a lower orbital if it had an ion stabilizer that constantly pushed it up to counteract the effect of air drag.

GOCE does exactly that.

1. How does an ion engine work?

An ion engine utilizes electrically charged particles, or ions, to generate thrust. These ions are accelerated by an electrical field and then expelled from the engine at high speeds, propelling the spacecraft forward.

2. Can an ion engine be used to maintain orbit?

Yes, an ion engine can be used to maintain and stabilize the orbit of a satellite. By adjusting the thrust and direction of the ions, the engine can counteract any external forces that may cause the satellite to drift off course.

3. How efficient is an ion engine for orbit stabilization?

An ion engine is much more efficient than traditional chemical rockets for orbit stabilization. It is able to continuously thrust over long periods of time, using a fraction of the propellant that a chemical rocket would need.

4. What are the limitations of using an ion engine for orbit stabilization?

One limitation of using an ion engine for orbit stabilization is that it requires a constant supply of electricity to operate. This can be achieved through solar panels or a nuclear power source, but it adds weight and complexity to the satellite. Additionally, the thrust of an ion engine is relatively low, so it may take longer to stabilize the orbit compared to a chemical rocket.

5. Are there any satellites currently using ion engines for orbit stabilization?

Yes, there are several satellites currently using ion engines for orbit stabilization, including NASA's Dawn spacecraft and the European Space Agency's BepiColombo mission. Ion engines have also been used for orbit maintenance on the International Space Station.