Switching to Engineering after Undergrad

In summary, a student is currently pursuing a double major in Math and Physics & Astronomy but is considering switching to Engineering due to concerns about job prospects in their current majors. They are interested in working in the space exploration industry but are unsure if their current degrees will be sufficient. They are considering waiting until graduate school to pursue an engineering degree but are also concerned about the potential for job opportunities and their current school's reputation in the engineering field. They are seeking advice on whether to switch majors now or wait until graduate school and potentially transfer to a more prestigious engineering school.
Falcon9
Hello all,

I'm currently a Sophomore double majoring in Math and Physics & Astronomy, but I'm considering going into Engineering. I really love my current majors, but I'm doubtful of my future career opportunities with them.

I'd eventually like to end up doing work related to studying/exploring space. Astronomy seems perilously difficult to break into, and while the private space industry is still small, it certainly has a lot of potential to grow.

I really did not understand how difficult it would be to find jobs when I picked my majors. High school had put me under the impression that any STEM major would be fairly safe as far as landing jobs (well-paying jobs at that). But clearly that's not the case, and now I'm quite concerned that I'm going to be stuck without many job prospects, scientific or otherwise.

Engineering seems like the best way to get around this, but I very much want to finish my current degrees, and it would be demoralizing to give up Math/P&A at this point and end up doing undergrad work for an extra year or more to catch up. Also, my current school has very little in the way of an engineering reputation, which could perhaps hurt my job prospects (especially with companies working on space exploration).

So this leads me to consider waiting until grad school to get an engineering degree (either mechanical or aerospace). From what I can find online, making this switch is fairly common, but engineers with a Master's but not a B.S. are considered less qualified than those with a B.S. and no Master's.

I'm utterly lost as to what I should do. Would companies like SpaceX, Boeing, and even non-space related companies care if I did not have an engineering B.S? For that matter, how many grad programs are likely to refuse accepting me for the same reason? If I need to switch majors now, should I also look to transfer to a more prestigious engineering school (there's a very highly rated public engineering school in my state)?

Sorry this was so long, but I could really use some help. I just feel so stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math/Astronomy is a subject, not a career. If you actually want a chance at a job after graduation besides in academia, I suggest you transfer into engineering. Even if you were to get into a graduate engineering program, you would have a lot of catchup to do. Even physics degree holders who get into engineering masters program have about 1-1.5 years of catchup, and their degree was considered "closely-related." Math provides no foundation to engineering. It only makes sense that you need to have a foundation before you go onto being a 'master' at something. It is not only the math you have to learn for engineering, you need to develop the competency and adeptness in physics, that takes years.

You could get into an applied math masters program perhaps if you were a pure math major, but evenstill your work would likely be limited to computational science. And, think about it: from a job standpoint, if you have two candidate employees, and you have an applied math masters student vs. an engineering student, you would pick the engineer for an engineering job. They can do all the math, and are likely better at the physics and engineering aspect of the job. Further, the engineering majors tend to know how to use technical software all ready that math majors do not tend to learn on their own, and have developed their technical writing and communication through design projects they have had to do through all of undergrad. Math majors do not have an education like that.

Last edited:
If you are happy with Math, Physics & Astronomy, why do you think you would be happy with any sort of engineering? They are definitely not the same thing! Seems to me that you really need to think this through more carefully.

In a nutshell (with over simplification), Math, Physics & Astronomy are about knowledge for its own sake. Engineering is about doing a particular task, to accomplish a particular goal. This usually means designing a system of some sort to accomplish that task. It is about how to accomplish useful work, as opposed to simply how to know more and more about things.

Dr.D said:
If you are happy with Math, Physics & Astronomy, why do you think you would be happy with any sort of engineering? They are definitely not the same thing! Seems to me that you really need to think this through more carefully.

In a nutshell (with over simplification), Math, Physics & Astronomy are about knowledge for its own sake. Engineering is about doing a particular task, to accomplish a particular goal. This usually means designing a system of some sort to accomplish that task. It is about how to accomplish useful work, as opposed to simply how to know more and more about things.

Useful work can actually pays the bills... You ignored this key point of his post which is a real and worthwhile concern to have - "I'm quite concerned that I'm going to be stuck without many job prospects, scientific or otherwise. "

Knowledge for its own sake is great. But unless you or your family are rich, you probably go to college to get a career style job.

Dear fellow scientist,

I can understand your dilemma and concerns about your future career opportunities in the field of astronomy and space exploration. It is true that the job market in these fields can be competitive, and it is important to consider all your options to increase your chances of success.

Switching to engineering after your undergraduate studies is a common path taken by many students, and it is not too late for you to make this change. However, it is important to carefully consider the implications of this decision and weigh the pros and cons.

One advantage of completing your current degrees in math and physics & astronomy is that you will have a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of science, which can be beneficial in any engineering field. Additionally, having a diverse background in both math and physics can make you a well-rounded candidate for engineering positions.

On the other hand, pursuing a degree in engineering at the undergraduate level can provide you with more practical skills and knowledge specific to the field. This may make you a more competitive candidate for companies like SpaceX, Boeing, and others in the space industry. However, it is important to note that many engineering companies also value a strong foundation in math and physics, so your current majors may still be beneficial.

If you do decide to switch to engineering, it may be possible to complete your undergraduate degree in a shorter time frame by taking summer courses or transferring credits. As for your concerns about job prospects and graduate school admissions, it is important to research the specific requirements of the companies and programs you are interested in. Some may require an undergraduate degree in engineering, while others may value a diverse background in math and physics.

Ultimately, the decision to switch to engineering or stay with your current majors is a personal one that should be based on your interests, strengths, and career goals. I would recommend speaking with a career counselor or academic advisor to explore all your options and make an informed decision. Best of luck in your studies and future career pursuits.

Sincerely,

1. What are the benefits of switching to engineering after completing my undergraduate degree?

The main benefit of switching to engineering after completing your undergraduate degree is the potential for higher job prospects and earning potential. Engineering is a highly sought-after field with a wide range of career opportunities in various industries. Additionally, engineering skills are transferable and can be applied to different fields, giving you the flexibility to explore different career paths.

2. Do I need a specific undergraduate degree to switch to engineering?

No, you do not necessarily need a specific undergraduate degree to switch to engineering. Many engineering programs accept students from diverse academic backgrounds. However, having a degree in a related field such as mathematics, physics, or computer science may give you a better foundation for engineering coursework.

3. How long does it typically take to complete an engineering degree after switching from another undergraduate program?

The length of time to complete an engineering degree after switching from another undergraduate program can vary depending on your previous coursework and the specific engineering program you choose. On average, it can take an additional 2-3 years to complete an engineering degree after switching from another program.

4. Will my previous undergraduate coursework count towards my engineering degree?

It depends on the specific courses you took and the engineering program you choose. Some courses may transfer as equivalent credits, while others may transfer as elective credits. It is best to consult with an academic advisor at the engineering program you are interested in to determine how your previous coursework will apply towards your engineering degree.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in an engineering program after switching from another undergraduate degree?

Some key skills that are important for success in an engineering program after switching from another undergraduate degree include strong math and science abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, having a strong work ethic and time management skills will also be beneficial for completing the demanding coursework of an engineering program.