Could Jet Engines Be Used for Space Travel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 7K views
BoeingJet said:
I think you are talking about the Buzzard Ramjet.
I think I would very much like to see this Buzzard Ramjet.
:woot:
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I think I would very much like to see this Buzzard Ramjet.
Buzzard rams jet?
"An aircraft over the Ivory Coast collided with a Rüppell's vulture at the altitude of 11,300 m (37,100 ft), the current record avian height."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: stoomart, Drakkith and Bystander
jbriggs444 said:
"An aircraft over the Ivory Coast collided with a Rüppell's vulture at the altitude of 11,300 m (37,100 ft), the current record avian height."
No way. That unlucky bird was sleeping in the intake when the jet was launched. It hung on as long as possible at the intake, but passed out at altitude and got the record for the highest bird "hit". o0)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
Can't help but wonder what kind of natural selection pressure leads to birds capable of existing at that extreme altitude.
Well above the highest mountains and no food there.
Can get a really long distance glide from that height maybe?

Edit:
Berkeman's explanation noted.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
its orbit doesn't decay in a matter of mere hours?

The enterprise typically is not in orbit (contrary to what Kirk et al. say) but simply hovering using its impulse engines. Which are reaction-less drives thus nonsense (pending NASA investigation) and not relevant to scientific discussion.

BoB
 
rbelli1 said:
The enterprise typically is not in orbit (contrary to what Kirk et al. say) but simply hovering using its impulse engines.
Yeah. No one's ever provided a satisfactory explanation.

Not having discovered orbital velocity in the 23rd centry is about as silly as any other explanation.