Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could 'Dark Matter' be Nutrinoes?

1. Aug 18, 2010 #1
    I was thinking about this and simply dont know enough about it all to answer my own question so was hoping someone could help me, is it possible that the dark matter we are searching so hard for are actually Nutrinoes, since they do indeed have mass, with their sheer numbers could it explain for some of the things attributed to dark matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2010 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It used to be thought that this was a possibility, but these days we are pretty sure dark matter is not neutrinos. That is to say, dark matter is composed primarily of something other than neutrinos. This is because they don't have enough mass, and because they are moving around too fast to collapse into the structures that we observe.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. Aug 18, 2010 #3
    Whats about sterile neurinos?

5. Aug 18, 2010 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sterile neutrinos are still a possibility for dark matter, as far as I know, but they're just as exotic as any other possibility, in my opinion.

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5
    Interesting... thank you

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook