Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Could Dark Matter be Time itself?

1. Jun 5, 2016 #1
    As title really, just an idea I had from various videos and articles I've read as an enthusiast of all things physics.

Some supporting sentences from my somewhat ignorant but perhaps not-entirely-wrong thinking:

- The velocity of stars around the periphery of galaxies, I've heard of a theory where matter has a halo of dark matter, and perhaps due to the greater mass at the centre of the galaxy this could apply

- The acceleration of the expanding universe and the reason why expansion is increasing, and not slowing down

- It does not interact with any of the forces

- Perhaps it can still account for its theoretical share of energy in the universe because more time = more work?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That doesn't even make any sense.

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3
    Why not? I'm aware that since Einstein that space and time is essentially considered as spacetime, but beforehand time did indeed make some kind of sense to us mortals.

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please do not try to learn actual science from pop science videos and articles. We have a policy about acceptable references at PF for a reason.

If you want to find some good textbooks or peer-reviewed references about dark matter, please start a new thread to ask for them. This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook