Could Dark Matter be Time itself?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that dark matter could potentially be time itself. This theory is based on the concept that dark matter does not interact with any of the known forces and therefore could account for its theoretical share of energy in the universe through the passing of time. However, this idea is not supported by scientific evidence and should not be relied upon as a source of knowledge about dark matter.
ricardo81
As title really, just an idea I had from various videos and articles I've read as an enthusiast of all things physics.

Some supporting sentences from my somewhat ignorant but perhaps not-entirely-wrong thinking:

- The velocity of stars around the periphery of galaxies, I've heard of a theory where matter has a halo of dark matter, and perhaps due to the greater mass at the centre of the galaxy this could apply

- The acceleration of the expanding universe and the reason why expansion is increasing, and not slowing down

- It does not interact with any of the forces

- Perhaps it can still account for its theoretical share of energy in the universe because more time = more work?

Space news on Phys.org
ricardo81 said:
Could Dark Matter be Time itself?
That doesn't even make any sense.

Why not? I'm aware that since Einstein that space and time is essentially considered as spacetime, but beforehand time did indeed make some kind of sense to us mortals.

ricardo81 said:
just an idea I had from various videos and articles

Please do not try to learn actual science from pop science videos and articles. We have a policy about acceptable references at PF for a reason.

If you want to find some good textbooks or peer-reviewed references about dark matter, please start a new thread to ask for them. This thread is closed.

1. What is dark matter and why is it important?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to traditional telescopes. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Understanding dark matter is important because it makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is believed to play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

2. How is time related to dark matter?

The relationship between time and dark matter is still largely unknown. Some theories propose that dark matter particles may interact with time, while others suggest that dark matter may be composed of particles that move through time differently than visible matter. It is also possible that time itself may be affected by the presence of dark matter, but more research is needed to fully understand this relationship.

3. Could dark matter actually be time itself?

This is a popular theory, but currently there is no concrete evidence to support it. While time and dark matter may be related in some way, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest that dark matter is actually time itself. Further research and evidence are needed to fully explore this idea.

4. What experiments are being conducted to study the relationship between dark matter and time?

Scientists are currently conducting a variety of experiments to study the nature of dark matter and its potential relationship with time. These include particle accelerators, underground detectors, and astronomical observations. These experiments aim to detect and understand the properties of dark matter, which could provide insight into its relationship with time.

5. How does the concept of dark matter and time impact our understanding of the universe?

Our current understanding of the universe is based on the Standard Model of particle physics, which does not account for dark matter or its potential relationship with time. If dark matter is found to be related to time in some way, it could greatly impact our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries and theories about the nature of time and space.