Could electrical part react with chemical?

In summary: However, if the chemical is not flammable or explosive, there is still a concern about the release of gases and potential harm to the appliance or its components. It is important to first identify the chemical and review its MSDS before proceeding with any actions.
kenny1999
I have need to put some chemicals INSIDE a home electrical appliance which is a closed area. I am thinking and worried that if electrical parts could react with chemical and cause problems? The only
possibility I can think of is if the spark from electrical appliances could react with flammable or explosive chemical and cause serious fire or electrical shock.

However, I am pretty sure that the chemical isn't flammable or explosive at all, but it would slowly release smell (thus gases?) within a closed space, is it still safe?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kenny1999 said:
However, I am pretty sure that the chemical isn't flammable or explosive at all, but it would slowly release smell (thus gases?)
How would we know, you haven't told us what the chemical is ?

Likes Vanadium 50 and DaveE
That sounds risky. I would not try it even if someone on the forums told you it's okay.

Likes Vanadium 50
Chemist version of "If it bleeds, it can be killed." is "If it smells, it is corrosive.".

Likes Bystander, berkeman, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
kenny1999 said:
I have need to put some chemicals INSIDE a home electrical appliance which is a closed area. I am thinking and worried that if electrical parts could react with chemical and cause problems?

Just want to remind, do not inject too much contact (switch) cleaner into the stereo jack socket, because it may dissolve the soldering flux residue around the PCB mounted switch, making the switch inoperable. The chemical reaction of the cleaner may also damage the LCD screen. Last time my portable music player worth about US $2,000 was scrapped for this reason :frown:

Last edited:
kenny1999 said:
I have need to put some chemicals INSIDE a home electrical appliance which is a closed area. I am thinking and worried that if electrical parts could react with chemical and cause problems? The only
possibility I can think of is if the spark from electrical appliances could react with flammable or explosive chemical and cause serious fire or electrical shock.

However, I am pretty sure that the chemical isn't flammable or explosive at all, but it would slowly release smell (thus gases?) within a closed space, is it still safe?
Please give us a link to the MSDS for this chemical. We need that before we can offer any help. You do know what an MSDS is, right?

kenny1999 said:
Bug repellent?
Could you please spare us from the guesswork?

Pouring an unspecified chemical into an unspecified appliance based on asking a few people on the internet?

A possible outcome for Kenny is

1604769184956.png

Likes Bystander

1. Can electrical parts react with chemical substances?

Yes, electrical parts can react with chemical substances. This is because electrical parts are made up of various materials that can interact with chemicals, either through direct contact or through the transfer of electrons.

2. What are some common types of reactions between electrical parts and chemicals?

Some common types of reactions between electrical parts and chemicals include corrosion, oxidation, and reduction. These reactions can occur when the electrical part comes into contact with substances such as water, acids, or salts.

3. How can I prevent electrical parts from reacting with chemicals?

To prevent reactions between electrical parts and chemicals, it is important to choose materials that are resistant to corrosion and other chemical reactions. Additionally, proper insulation and protective coatings can help to shield electrical parts from exposure to chemicals.

4. Are there any safety concerns when working with electrical parts and chemicals?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with electrical parts and chemicals. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling chemicals. Additionally, care should be taken to avoid mixing incompatible chemicals with electrical parts.

5. What should I do if I suspect a reaction between an electrical part and a chemical?

If you suspect a reaction between an electrical part and a chemical, it is important to immediately stop using the affected part and consult a professional. It may be necessary to replace the part or take other measures to prevent further damage or potential hazards.