Could I find a job in industry after completing only Bachelor's study?

In summary, the individual is considering a Bachelor's program in Physics in Germany, but the program is not accredited. They are concerned about the impact this may have on their future career prospects and are considering declining the program and instead taking a year to improve their German language skills and apply for accredited programs in the next semester. They have also received conflicting information about the necessity of accreditation and the job market for physicists with only a Bachelor's degree.
Melodie
hey guys!

i got accepted for a Bachelor's programm in Physics.. it's an English language program in a non-English speaking country (Germany). This program is not accredited (neither internationally, nor inside the country... I'm not sure if it makes any difference.. )

I applied for this programm because I am interested in Natural science and I wanted to improve my English language skills by doing Bachelor's in English... plus I thought that German degree is world-wide recognised (though I'm not sure anymore because this program is not accredited)

..Now I am hesitating... I have read some threads on this forum (and somewhere else).. People say that It's too hard, almost impossible to find a job having only a Bachelor's degree in Physics.. Also I was told Phisicists have good opportunities (even without German knowledge in Germany) in industry after completing PhD..

I can not study that long (It would be too hard financially for my family) so my goal is Bachelor's degree after which I could find a job in industry in Germany..

Please, tell me your thoughts. Is it worth to start these Bachelor's studies in Physics (in English)?

Physics news on Phys.org
A degree without accreditation is toilet paper. Simple as that.

Which university offers the program you are referring to? Are you sure that it is not accredited?

lisombt
I checked ASIIN e.V. (accreditation for German study programms) and also EUR-ACE (recognition by European employers). This program is not on the list.

...I asked a few people about accreditation (one of them doing his PhD in Physics) and none knows anything about accreditation.. and I posted my question in another forum dedicated to the Education in Germany and Yahoo Answers! --> all I received is just one sarcastic answer .. so It seems impossible to find out the meaning of the programm of studies' accreditation for the future career.

Angry Citizen
do you know any cases when non-accreditated programm had bad impact on the CV? please, tell me if know something.. this is very important for me.

-------------------
..I am thinking now about declining this Programm and starting a German course so that I could improve my German and apply again for another programm (or a few ones to increase my chances) in the next semester. ...Is it worth to do? This way I would loose one semester which I could work towards a degree but I would improve my language skills.

- the chances of finding a job in Germany if you don't speak German are severly reduced.

- living in a country without even planning to learn the language is a dubious endeavor in the first place.

- from what I've heard pretty much no one hires physicists with a B.Sc., only. It's hard to get facts about this point, though, because few quit university after a B.Sc. (and because there is no job market for physicists in any case - physicists go into fields related to the skills they have in addition to their physics training). The default physics degree in Germany is a PhD.

- I was under the impression that a course must be accredited in order for you to actually claim your B.Sc. degree afterwards. I may be wrong on that, though. In any case, there seems to be more than one official accredition company for German courses: See this list.

- if the program is offered at a proper German university (rule of thumb: a public university is a proper one) then just contact them and ask about accredition of the program (and to what extend it is important).

- as far as I know, some universities offer pre-university courses for high-school students. Some may be taught over the Internet. So if you spent a semester improving your German you could as well look into those courses at the same time.

Timo

thank you for such an informative answer! ..I will check the link.
I like your idea about the courses. Probably, that is what I need now. I will look through the courses by the universities with extended deadline.. (because the main deadline July, 15 is passed)

Melodie said:
lisombt
I checked ASIIN e.V. (accreditation for German study programms) and also EUR-ACE (recognition by European employers). This program is not on the list.

...I asked a few people about accreditation (one of them doing his PhD in Physics) and none knows anything about accreditation.. and I posted my question in another forum dedicated to the Education in Germany and Yahoo Answers! --> all I received is just one sarcastic answer .. so It seems impossible to find out the meaning of the programm of studies' accreditation for the future career.

Angry Citizen
do you know any cases when non-accreditated programm had bad impact on the CV? please, tell me if know something.. this is very important for me.

-------------------
..I am thinking now about declining this Programm and starting a German course so that I could improve my German and apply again for another programm (or a few ones to increase my chances) in the next semester. ...Is it worth to do? This way I would loose one semester which I could work towards a degree but I would improve my language skills.

I asked only because I wondered which one of the very few (Leipzig, Oldenburg, FH Aachen) is unaccredited. If you don't mind losing a year to learn German, enrolling at a regular university in German is a best solution.

1. Can I find a job in industry with just a Bachelor's degree in science?

Yes, many industries are open to hiring individuals with a Bachelor's degree in science. However, the type of job you can get may vary depending on your field of study and the specific industry you are interested in.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to those with a higher degree?

While having a higher degree may give you an advantage, it is not always necessary. Employers also value practical skills and experience, so be sure to highlight any relevant internships, research projects, or other experiences you have gained during your Bachelor's studies.

3. Are there any specific industries that are more open to hiring Bachelor's degree holders?

Some industries that are typically more open to hiring individuals with a Bachelor's degree in science include pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare, and environmental science. However, this may vary depending on your field of study and the job market in your area.

4. Is it necessary to have a higher degree to advance in my career?

While a higher degree may provide more opportunities for career advancement, it is not always necessary. Many individuals with Bachelor's degrees in science have successful and fulfilling careers in their chosen industry.

5. What skills should I focus on developing during my Bachelor's studies to increase my employability in industry?

In addition to your specific field of study, it is important to develop strong communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You should also consider gaining practical experience through internships, research projects, and involvement in relevant organizations or clubs.