Could I finish a Mechanical Engineering Major and EE minor in time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's future plans, which include either obtaining an ME undergraduate degree and a Masters in Systems Engineering, or an ME degree and EE minor followed by a Masters in ME with a specialization in Dynamics and Controls. The speaker is uncertain about the nature of systems engineering and is considering the EE minor for a broader knowledge base. However, they are concerned about the time it would take to complete the EE minor. The other person suggests pursuing the ME degree and mentions a friend who works in engineering systems with a nuclear engineering degree. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to look into a mechatronics degree at NC State.
CaliStudent
How long would a EE minor take?

My future plans are this: Either just get the ME undergraduate degree and do a masters in Systems engineering, or get the ME degree and EE minor and then get a Masters in ME, possible specializing in Dynamics and Controls. I've been looking at systems engineering because from my understanding it provides more breadth, but I am not sure if its just a industrial engineering type degree or not, because if it is that's is a turn off for me. I like how the EE minor would give me some side knowledge of electrical systems, thus when I enter grad school, i wouldn't feel "bad" about specializing in an area since I know I have the breadth I guess. But if doing the EE minor would take much longer to complete, I don't think it would be worth it i guess.

Is my thinking right? Or am I being naive?

Any advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
my conclusion after I read your plans... go for the ME. because it is the broadest engineering discipline.

Get the ME Degree and EE minor. Systems engineering is exactly what it says. I have a friend with a nuclear engineering degree and hr currently works in the engineering systems department at plant Vogtle. Now that's a nuclear power plant so he is in charge of things like steam generators and waste disposal. Both complicated systems. I believe you are looking for a mechatronics degree. Look at NC states ms in mechatronics

ok thanks

Yes, it is possible to complete a Mechanical Engineering major and an EE minor in a timely manner. The length of time it would take to complete an EE minor would depend on the specific requirements of the program and your own academic schedule. However, it is important to consider the workload and time commitment required for both the major and minor. It may be beneficial to speak with an academic advisor to determine if this is a feasible plan for you and to discuss your future goals and career aspirations. Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that a minor may not provide the same level of expertise and specialization as a major, so it is important to carefully consider your academic and career goals before making a decision. Ultimately, it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons and determine if pursuing an EE minor is the best choice for you.

1. Can I finish a Mechanical Engineering Major and EE minor in time?

It depends on various factors such as your academic performance, course load, and availability of courses. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to create a feasible plan and stay on track.

2. How long does it usually take to complete a Mechanical Engineering Major and EE minor?

The typical duration to complete a Mechanical Engineering Major and EE minor is four to five years, but it may vary depending on your individual circumstances.

3. Is it challenging to pursue a double major in Mechanical Engineering and EE?

Yes, it can be challenging as it requires a significant amount of time and effort to complete both majors. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is achievable.

4. Can I switch to a double major in Mechanical Engineering and EE if I am already enrolled in a single major?

It is possible to switch to a double major, but it may require additional time and course load. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

5. Are there any benefits to pursuing a double major in Mechanical Engineering and EE?

Having a double major in Mechanical Engineering and EE can provide you with a broader skill set and make you more versatile in the job market. It can also open up more career opportunities in related fields.