1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could I finish a Mechanical Engineering Major and EE minor in time?

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1
    How long would a EE minor take?

My future plans are this: Either just get the ME undergraduate degree and do a masters in Systems engineering, or get the ME degree and EE minor and then get a Masters in ME, possible specializing in Dynamics and Controls. I've been looking at systems engineering because from my understanding it provides more breadth, but im not sure if its just a industrial engineering type degree or not, because if it is that's is a turn off for me. I like how the EE minor would give me some side knowledge of electrical systems, thus when I enter grad school, i wouldn't feel "bad" about specializing in an area since I know I have the breadth I guess. But if doing the EE minor would take much longer to complete, I dont think it would be worth it i guess.

Is my thinking right? Or am I being naive?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2
    my conclusion after I read your plans... go for the ME. because it is the broadest engineering discipline.

4. Oct 18, 2013 #3
    Get the ME Degree and EE minor. Systems engineering is exactly what it says. I have a friend with a nuclear engineering degree and hr currently works in the engineering systems department at plant Vogtle. Now that's a nuclear power plant so he is in charge of things like steam generators and waste disposal. Both complicated systems.

I believe you are looking for a mechatronics degree. Look at NC states ms in mechatronics

5. Oct 19, 2013 #4
    ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook