Could light be a particle that is unobservable as an actual particle?

In summary, the statement that light is an unobservable particle because it travels at the speed of light is incorrect. The behavior of light is explained by complicated equations, and it has little to do with the English word "particle."
applebob
Could light be a particle that is unobservable as an actual particle because of the fact that it is traveling at the speed of light, and thus occurs at a different temporal 'dimension' because of the relativistic difference in velocity between the light 'particle' itself, and the space in which it is moving through? In other words, if I were able to throw a particle at the speed of light, it might lose observability because of the speed it was traveling?

Science news on Phys.org
Light is observable though. I observe it every time I open my eyes, take a picture, or feel the Sun on my skin.
Also, there is only one temporal timension, and we cannot throw a particle at the speed of light, so your question isn't answerable.

Light is observable with our eyes, yes, but it behaves like a particle, particularly in the way that it is affected by gravity. The question might be 'what happens to a particle of matter if it was hurled at the speed of light in a vacuum?'.

applebob said:
Light is observable with our eyes, yes, but it behaves like a particle, particularly in the way that it is affected by gravity. The question might be 'what happens to a particle of matter if it was hurled at the speed of light in a vacuum?'.

That cannot happen, so your question is invalid.

applebob said:
Could light be a particle that is unobservable as an actual particle because of the fact that it is traveling at the speed of light, and thus occurs at a different temporal 'dimension' because of the relativistic difference in velocity between the light 'particle' itself, and the space in which it is moving through? In other words, if I were able to throw a particle at the speed of light, it might lose observability because of the speed it was traveling?

Physicists have complicated equations that explain the behaviour of light. It has very little to do with the English word "particle."

As far as I am concerned light is unobservable. All we can observe is what matter does when light whacks into it.

ImaLooser said:
Physicists have complicated equations that explain the behaviour of light. It has very little to do with the English word "particle."

As far as I am concerned light is unobservable. All we can observe is what matter does when light whacks into it.

But that's how we observe all things. Light or matter whacking into things.

applebob said:

There are a lot of errors here. Light is NOT a "particle of matter". Furthermore, the way light is affected by gravity is different than the way a particle with mass is affected by gravity. Read the FAQ in the Relativity forum.

Your question can't be answered because it assumes a number of erroneous things. It is similar to asking "when did you stop beating your wife"?

Zz.

Unlike other 'particles', the photon doesn't have a meaningful 'size'. That's something that makes its particle nature different from other particles with which we're more or less familiar.
Imho, it's best not to use the particle approach until you really know what you're doing. Of course, the Quantum nature of photons is another matter because the energy of their interactions is noticeably quantised - but that says nothing about the shape, size etc. of a photon.

What is the concept behind light being a particle that is unobservable?

The concept of light being a particle that is unobservable suggests that light behaves as both a wave and a particle, but its particle nature cannot be directly observed or measured.

How does the dual nature of light support this idea?

The dual nature of light, exhibiting properties of both a wave and a particle, supports the idea that light could be a particle that is unobservable. This is because it shows that light can act as a particle without being able to be observed as one.

What evidence suggests that light could be a particle that is unobservable?

One major piece of evidence is the photoelectric effect, which demonstrated that light can behave as a particle by knocking electrons off a metal surface. Another is the double-slit experiment, which showed that light can behave as a wave. The combination of these two behaviors supports the idea of light as an unobservable particle.

What are some potential implications of light being a particle that is unobservable?

If light is indeed a particle that is unobservable, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the nature of light and its interactions with matter. It could also have implications for how we develop technologies that rely on our current understanding of light.

How is this concept being studied and researched in the scientific community?

Scientists continue to study and research the dual nature of light and its potential as an unobservable particle through experiments and theoretical models. This is an ongoing area of study and there is still much to be learned and discovered about the true nature of light.