Does black hole stop light or time?

In summary, Jim has been told the speed of light is constant and does not waiver. This would make sense as light has no mass I am aware of. Pictures taken during a solar eclipse seem to prove gravity bends light. Could it be however that the light is not bent, only the time/space light is traveling through is bent? And if this is a possibility, could a black hole be dark not because it's gravity is stopping light, but because it's gravity is stopping time/space? Could the bottom of the time/space curvature at a black hole be a doorway to another time/space dimension? Could this explain hawkings theory on desolving black holes, as they slowly are divided between two deminsions in an attempt
Jim cook
I have been told the speed of light is constant and does not waiver. This would make sense as light has no mass I am aware of.
Pictures taken during a solar eclipse seem to prove gravity bends light. Could it be however that the light is not bent, only the time/space light is traveling through is bent? And if this is a possibility, could a black hole be dark not because it's gravity is stopping light, but because it's gravity is stopping time/space? Could the bottom of the time/space curvature at a black hole be a doorway to another time/space dimension? Could this explain hawkings theory on desolving black holes, as they slowly are divided between two deminsions in an attempt to balance?

Science news on Phys.org
Jim cook said:
Could it be however that the light is not bent, only the time/space light is traveling through is bent?

It's more accurate to say that the path through space that light takes is bent. Light, being an EM wave that spreads out through space after being emitted, is thus bent as well since it occupies a very large region of space.

Jim cook said:
And if this is a possibility, could a black hole be dark not because it's gravity is stopping light, but because it's gravity is stopping time/space?

No. The bending of spacetime is gravity. And spacetime is not something that can be "stopped" since it isn't moving and isn't capable of moving.

Jim cook said:
Could the bottom of the time/space curvature at a black hole be a doorway to another time/space dimension?

Almost certainly not. There has never been the slightest shred of evidence for the existence of multiple universes or other dimensions. Such concepts only show up in extremely hypothetical theories, none of which are supported by credible evidence.

Jim cook said:
Could this explain hawkings theory on desolving black holes, as they slowly are divided between two deminsions in an attempt to balance?

No.

Drakkith said:
It's more accurate to say that the path through space that light takes is bent. Light, being an EM wave that spreads out through space after being emitted, is thus bent as well since it occupies a very large region of space.
No. The bending of spacetime is gravity. And spacetime is not something that can be "stopped" since it isn't moving and isn't capable of moving.
Almost certainly not. There has never been the slightest shred of evidence for the existence of multiple universes or other dimensions. Such concepts only show up in extremely hypothetical theories, none of which are supported by credible evidence.
No.
1. Agreed

2. We agree light is not bent by gravity, the space light travels through is bent by gravity.

Space bent by gravity should alter the path of light, not terminate it. I view bent space just as most visual drawings depict, as a depression in space. For light to completely disappear would mean the curvature created by gravity has no bottom, or is infinite.

If the curve is not bottomless then light should not disappear, just move or be bent by curved space. It is my opinion that something else besides gravity would have to be involved for light to completely disappear.

3&4. I will detail later

Please respond

Jim, are you asking questions?

Jim cook said:
If the curve is not bottomless then light should not disappear, just move or be bent by curved space.
The smallest stable orbit radius of light is only 3m. 3 meters out to the event horizon is a lot of space for light to be "trapped" in a black hole...

Jim cook said:
1. Agreed

2. We agree light is not bent by gravity, the space light travels through is bent by gravity.

Space bent by gravity should alter the path of light, not terminate it. I view bent space just as most visual drawings depict, as a depression in space. For light to completely disappear would mean the curvature created by gravity has no bottom, or is infinite.

If the curve is not bottomless then light should not disappear, just move or be bent by curved space. It is my opinion that something else besides gravity would have to be involved for light to completely disappear.

3&4. I will detail later

Please respond

How would you like us to respond, given that you are just making this stuff up?

The mathematics of a black hole and the resulting paths of light rays is well established and understood.

Jim cook said:
Could this explain hawkings theory on desolving black holes, as they slowly are divided between two deminsions in an attempt to balance?
The established theory is black hole "evaporation" and it is due to:
Hawking radiation

PeroK said:
How would you like us to respond, given that you are just making this stuff up?

The mathematics of a black hole and the resulting paths of light rays is well established and understood.

How a black hole works is something nobody has observed or can observe, surely you know this?

What we know about how objects such as black holes work is currently only theory based on math, understood laws of physics and conjecture. I'm no Copernicus, I'm not a physicist, but I do like to observe and think.

Do you not use your brain and develop your own theory's of how things in the universe work?

Also to make the comment that I'm "making this stuff up" is narrow minded on your behalf.

Thread closed temporarily for moderation...

Jim cook said:
Could it be however that the light is not bent, only the time/space light is traveling through is bent?

Yes, in the sense that the light is traveling on a geodesic--a straight line--in a curved spacetime geometry.

However, that does not imply all the other things you said.

Jim cook said:
How a black hole works is something nobody has observed or can observe, surely you know this?

We know how curved spacetime works; our knowledge of how a black hole works is a straightforward consequence of that.

Jim cook said:
Do you not use your brain and develop your own theory's of how things in the universe work?

Also to make the comment that I'm "making this stuff up" is narrow minded on your behalf.

Both of these comments are out of line. @PeroK was validly pointing out that the post of yours he responded to was speculation.

Also, you should not even try to develop your own theory of how things work until you thoroughly understand the theories that have already been developed and verified by massive amounts of evidence. GR is such a theory. You can't go beyond what's already known if you don't understand what's already known.

Likes davenn
The OP question has been answered, and personal speculation is out of bounds here on PF. Thread closed.

1. Does a black hole really stop light or time?

Yes, a black hole can stop both light and time. This is because the intense gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that it can bend the path of light and distort the flow of time.

2. Can anything escape a black hole, including light and time?

No, once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This includes light and time, as they are both affected by the strong gravitational pull of a black hole.

3. How does a black hole stop time?

A black hole's immense gravitational pull causes time to slow down near its event horizon. As an object gets closer to the black hole, time will appear to pass slower for that object. This effect is known as time dilation.

4. Can we see a black hole stop light or time?

We cannot directly see a black hole stopping light or time, as the event horizon of a black hole is invisible. However, we can observe the effects of a black hole's gravity on nearby objects, such as the bending of light and the slowing of time.

5. Does the size of a black hole affect its ability to stop light or time?

Yes, the size of a black hole does affect its ability to stop light and time. The larger the black hole, the stronger its gravitational pull and the more it can bend light and slow down time.