Could one use magnets to create friction and thrust

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating levitation using a motor, a pendulum, and magnets. However, without a clear diagram, it is difficult to understand the set-up and determine if it would actually work. Additionally, the concept of attaching a pendulum to a motor raises questions about how it would function. Overall, while levitation can be achieved with magnets, it is unclear if this specific set-up would be successful.
nomad2415
if I had a motor with a pendulum and a magnet at the end of it, and attached to this motor was a frame holding a another magnet that is close enough to the pendulum to exert force on it when it is horizontally positioned would that force make friction with the inside of the motor creating thrust in the opposite direction when the motor is spinning? to make the whole thing levetate

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't follow your description without a diagram. How do you attach a pendulum (which oscillates) to a motor (which doesn't)?

Would it levitate? No.

CWatters said:
I can't follow your description
Me neither. But in general, you can make things levitate with magnets:

A.T. said:
Me neither. But in general, you can make things levitate with magnets:

OP said "the whole thing" :-)

1. Can magnets really create friction and thrust?

Yes, magnets can create both friction and thrust. When two magnets with opposite poles are placed close to each other, they experience a force of attraction. This force can be used to create friction and cause movement.

2. How does using magnets for friction and thrust compare to other methods?

Using magnets for friction and thrust can be more efficient and environmentally friendly compared to traditional methods that rely on physical contact between surfaces. This is because magnets do not experience wear and tear like other materials, resulting in less maintenance and longer lifespan.

3. Can magnets be used to create thrust in any direction?

Yes, magnets can create thrust in any direction as long as they are properly aligned and controlled. By manipulating the strength and placement of the magnets, scientists can control the direction and intensity of the thrust created.

4. Are there any limitations to using magnets for creating friction and thrust?

While magnets can be a powerful tool for creating friction and thrust, there are some limitations. They are most effective in environments with little to no air resistance, and their strength and effectiveness can be affected by external magnetic fields and temperatures.

5. What are some potential applications of using magnets for creating friction and thrust?

Magnets can be used in a variety of applications, such as in magnetic levitation trains, magnetic bearings for machinery, and even as propulsion systems for spacecraft. They can also be used in everyday items, such as magnetic brakes for bicycles and magnetic clutches for vehicles.