Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to use magnets to float an object (Diagram)

1. May 31, 2017 #1
    Hey everyone, I have been doing some research in regards to floating an object, and possibly have it rotate. I am thinking magnetism is the way to accomplish this, but if anyone else knows another method I would love to hear it. I created a simple diagram on what I am trying to accomplish:

diagram.png

Not sure if it has to be completely enclosed, or it can be partially open. The direction I am leading in that might make this possible is putting a neodymium rod inside the object, then have neodymium discs on opposite sides with opposing poles to suspend the object. Or, some use of electromagnets?

If anyone can help me out more or point me in the right direction on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

From the list of "Similar Discussions" at the bottom of the page, this old thread may be of help.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/using-magnets-to-suspend-objects.527806/

For permanent magnet levitation, you may need some mechanical constraints "holding" the object to keep it from flipping or sticking to the sides of your enclosure.

Are you familiar with AC eddy current levitation?

4. May 31, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the reply! I will check that thread out. I am not that familiar with AC eddy current levitation specifically. From what I know as a basic understanding, it is using a current on coils that can push an object to "defy gravity". If you have anymore info on this that you think would be helpful for this specific project I am working on, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

5. May 31, 2017 #4

berkeman

Also, if you do a Google Images search on Magnetic Levitation, that should give you lots of ideas... :smile:

6. May 31, 2017 #5

berkeman

7. Jun 5, 2017 #6
    There is also acoustic levitation, which uses sound waves to levitate small objects at the nodes of standing waves.

Have you considered an air bearing? This is the method by which an air hockey puck slides with almost no friction across its table on a thin film of pressurized air.

I combined sound waves and air bearing in a new way called “orthosonic lift”. Here an exciter, oscillates air above a flat wing to suspend it on a thin film of depressurized air. You can download a free “function generator” app. and run the output through a small amp (or through a channel of your home-theater amplifier) to power the exciter. The wing is cut from a file folder (6 inch disk) and any smooth, flat surface can serve as a flight deck. (I used glass from a photo frame but even a book propped across two others will do.)

Happy experimenting!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted