Could Our Universe Be Part of a Larger Cosmic Cycle?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CrashDK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
CrashDK
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I was just wondering, that what if the big bang was not a single event, but actually a black hole exploding as a small part of a much bigger universe? What was before the big bang, nothing, then what "held" that nothingness? Where did the matter, that made up the exploding point, come from? What would happen if you were to fly "through" the universe wall, is there nothing there?
Dont fry me as I am not a scientist. And I appoligise if me spelling is somewhat off, I´m danish ;)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
CrashDK said:
I was just wondering, that what if the big bang was not a single event,
As far as we are concerned nothing, we can't know what happened before time=0 so it doesn't have any effect

but actually a black hole exploding as a small part of a much bigger universe?
Not a black hole, but it coul be that the big bang was created by an event in some larger structure.
Usually called a multiverse - because it generated at least one universe (ours!) and presumably many others.

What was before the big bang, nothing, then what "held" that nothingness? Where did the matter, that made up the exploding point, come from?
Physics has no real problem with nothingness.
There is no law against a universe coming into existence from nothing, the conservation laws don't necessarily apply at the quantum scale at the start of the universe.

What would happen if you were to fly "through" the universe wall, is there nothing there?
The definition of a universe is pretty much that you are stuck in the one you have.

I´m danish ;)
No problem, we only dislike two kinds of people. those who are intolerant - and the Finns
(and perpetual motion machines, and people talking about aircraft taking off from conveyor belts)