Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could quantum gravity itself have any answers?

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Could however the quantum gravity works itself be the solution to the measurement problem?

I'm not talking about the whole theoretic approach to QG, but just the weird quantum effects being directly caused by the quantum gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Fyzix, a complete theory of quantum gravity will provide us insights into every field imaginable :) so yes it will lead to some resolution of the measurement problem, but only time will tell. For a long time, if I am correct, decoherence has been adapted as the "modern" view of wave-function collapse. It also seems believable since it arises as a quantum system interacts with its environment in a thermodynamically irreversible way. Other than that, different interpretations of QM give diff. reasons for the collapse. Note that decoherence does not provide a mechanism for the actual wave function collapse; rather it provides a mechanism for the appearance of wavefunction collapse. The quantum nature of the system is simply "leaked" into the environment so that a total superposition of the wavefunction still exists, but exists at least for all practical purposes beyond the realm of measurement.

4. Jul 21, 2011 #3
    Aren't what you are explaining here really the Deutsch-Wallace reading of Everett?
    So you are a proponent of MWI? I thought you had some ideas about the quantum mysteries could perhaps be solved by looking at the horizon?

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4

qsa

6. Jul 21, 2011 #5
    Fyzix, i am not exactly sure if it is or not, i simply wrote down what a "mainstream" theorist might say, my idea was about a different topic (dS/CFT), not wavefunctional collapse :)

7. Jul 23, 2011 #6
    So the ideas surrounding the dS/CFT would not explain quantum effects if right?

8. Jul 23, 2011 #7
    Fyzix, quantum effects is a broad term, if we focus only on wavefunctional collapse, i don't think dS/CFT answers that, the problem being that from what I understand, it establishes a link between string/M/F theory in the bulk and a field theory on the boundary. My ideas just deal with a mapping, however its hard to tell what advanced might come by extending dS/CFT. Once dS/CFT is complete, it'd be like M-theory in some sense, we got a ton of good physics and advances from it, so after the correspondence is complete, it might answer wavefunction collapse. Only time will tell. One thing I know for a fact is the ideas that I am working on with other people, would address one of the quantum effect, nonlocality, to some extent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook