Can Spacetime be Torn According to Quantum Theory of Gravity?

• B
  • Thread starter singularity18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, according to current theories, space time cannot be torn. This is possible with the assumption of string theory. If this were possible, it would have implications on the universe.
singularity18
Would, assuming a quantum theory of gravity, space time be able to be torn. Or is this only possible withe the assumption of string theory? If such a tear were possible what implications would it have on the universe?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Spacetime isn't something that can be "torn". It doesn't matter which theory you use.

Looks like I recalled correctly. This is the second time in recent days I'm encountering this question and it reminded me of something I heard in a documentary. It seems you can blame Brian Greene for this.
But there's a hitch: to create a wormhole, you've got to rip or tear a hole in the fabric of space. But can the fabric of space really rip? Can this first step toward forming a wormhole actually happen? Well, you can't answer these questions on an empty stomach.
Unfortunately, according to Einstein's laws, this is impossible. They say that space can stretch and warp, but it cannot rip. Wormholes might exist somewhere fully formed, but you could not rip space to create a new one, over Manhattan or anywhere else. In other words, I can't take a wormhole to work.

But now string theory is giving us a whole new perspective on space, and it's showing us that Einstein wasn't always right. To see how, let's take a much closer look at the spatial fabric.

If we could shrink down to about a millionth of a billionth of our normal size, we'd enter the world of quantum mechanics, the laws that control how atoms behave. It's the world of light and electricity and everything else that operates at the smallest of scales. Here, the fabric of space is random and chaotic. Rips and tears might be commonplace. But if they were, what would stop a rip in the fabric of space from creating a cosmic catastrophe?

Well, this is where the power of strings comes in. Strings calm the chaos. And as a single string dances through space, it sweeps out a tube. The tube can act like a bubble that surrounds the tear, a protective shield with profound implications. Strings actually make it possible for space to rip.

Source

ShayanJ said:
It seems you can blame Brian Greene for this.
And for many other misconceptions that we have to debunk over and over here on PF.

singularity18 said:
space time be able to be torn
Einstein made a very unfortunate statement that there is a spacetime "fabric", as though it is a "thing" that can be warped, stretched, etc. As @Nugatory has pointed out, it is no such thing.

phinds said:
Einstein made a very unfortunate statement that there is a spacetime "fabric"
I am not familiar with this source, but couldn't it be just a wrong translation: the German "Stoff" could also mean "structure".

Hill said:
I am not familiar with this source, but couldn't it be just a wrong translation: the German "Stoff" could also mean "structure".
If so, it would not make your belief that spacetime can be "torn" any less incorrect.

phinds said:
If so, it would not make your belief that spacetime can be "torn" any less incorrect.
I don't think @Hill does believe that - you may be mixing him up with either singularity18 (the OP) or paddyc (who necro'd this 2016 thread).

The idea that "fabric" is a mistranslation is an interesting one. I wonder if anyone knows an original reference for "fabric"?

• Informative
Likes berkeman, PeroK, phinds and 1 other person
Ibix said:
I don't think @Hill does believe that - you may be mixing him up with either singularity18 (the OP) or paddyc (who necro'd this 2016 thread).
OOPS. Thanks for that correction.

Ibix said:
paddyc (who necro'd this 2016 thread)
Looks like his post was shoved into a rip in spacetime which was then closed up behind it. :wink:

• Haha
Likes Nugatory, Ibix, phinds and 1 other person
jtbell said:
Looks like his post was shoved into a rip in spacetime which was then closed up behind it. :wink:
Yep, that’s on me. I was performing a routine postectomy, looks like I left a sponge behind when I sutured things up.

• Haha
Likes jtbell and berkeman

1. Could spacetime be torn?

The concept of "tearing" in spacetime is a popular topic in science fiction and theoretical physics. However, in reality, spacetime cannot be physically torn. This is because spacetime is not a tangible object, but rather a mathematical concept used to describe the fabric of the universe. It is not possible to physically manipulate or destroy spacetime.

2. What is the theory of spacetime tearing?

The theory of spacetime tearing suggests that under extreme conditions, such as near a black hole or during the early moments of the universe, spacetime can become distorted or "ripped" in certain regions. This theory is still speculative and is not supported by current scientific evidence.

3. Can a black hole tear spacetime?

Black holes are often associated with the idea of spacetime tearing. While black holes do have a strong gravitational pull that can significantly warp spacetime, they do not physically tear it. The concept of a singular "rip" in spacetime caused by a black hole is not supported by scientific evidence.

4. How does the concept of spacetime tearing relate to wormholes?

Wormholes, or hypothetical tunnels through spacetime, are often connected to the idea of spacetime tearing. However, the concept of a wormhole is still purely theoretical and has not been observed or proven to exist. While wormholes do involve the bending and warping of spacetime, they are not directly connected to the idea of spacetime tearing.

5. Could a catastrophic event cause spacetime to tear?

As mentioned before, spacetime cannot physically be torn. However, it is possible for extreme events, such as the collision of two black holes, to cause significant distortions in spacetime. These distortions can create gravitational waves, which have been detected by scientists. However, this does not mean that spacetime itself is being torn, but rather that it is being warped and stretched in certain regions.