Could There Be a Place in the Universe That's Completely Black?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ValenceE
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
ValenceE
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Hello to all !,

given our current physics and cosmology theories and understanding of the universe, could there be an 'open space' location from where we could not see any light, as faint as can be, coming from distant galaxies or light source ?... pitch black all around us...


regards,

VE

Edit: actually, if the answer is yes, than can we expand the 'blackness' to any and all currently measurable radiation ?
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Short answer - no. As long as there are no obstacles to light or radiation, it will continue to travel. For example, the cmb can be detected in all directions.
 
Thank's for the reply,

so then, am I right in stating that, given what we presently know, we can safely say that empty space does not exist ?


VE
 
ValenceE said:
Thank's for the reply,

so then, am I right in stating that, given what we presently know, we can safely say that empty space does not exist ?


VE
Space that is "empty" of EM radiation cannot exist within our understanding of the universe. There will always be EM suffusing it, no matter where you are. Even if you dug a deep cave in the Earth and hid in that, particles (neutrinos) would be zipping through you day and night. No place to hide.
 
Is this true? Doesn't there have to be a temperature difference as well as existence of radiation? If I, my instruments are at the same temperature as some other place there is no energy exchange between us, I can receive no signals or information from it even though there still is EM radiation? Nor send any. If there are places not like that, I could notice its presence by its absence IYKWIM. Sounds crazy at first, but doesn't every info we get depend on on a temperature difference? - a star or tungsten filament emits radiation which, maybe after reflection reaches us.
 
Last edited:
epenguin said:
Is this true? Doesn't there have to be a temperature difference as will as existence of radiation? If I, my instruments are at the same temperature as some other place there is no energy exchange between us, I can receive no signals or information from it even though there still is EM radiation? Nor send any. If there are places not like that, I could notice its presence by its absence IYKWIM. Sounds crazy at first, but doesn't every info we get depend on on a temperature difference? - a star or tungsten filament emits radiation which, maybe after reflection reaches us.
Right, which is why there won't be any regions in the universe that are entirely empty until the universe itself is.