Could you have BOTH mirror matter and supersymmetry?

In summary, mirror matter and supersymmetry are two distinct fields, but it has been proposed that the breakdown of supersymmetry in the hidden sector could be transmitted to anti-generation fields, resulting in a mirror generation. Some researchers have also speculated about the existence of mirror particles and mirror matter, but it is important to note that the term "mirror" can have different meanings in different contexts. Additional research and references are available for those interested in learning more about this topic.
ensabah6
I know that mirror symmetry resulting in mirror matter and supersymmetry resulting in SUSY partners are two completely distinct fields, and that the original bosonic string theory needs SUSY to get fermions.

If mirror matter does exist in the universe, what would this mean in terms of SUSY? Would we have a multiplication of dark matter candidates?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggested that because I really don't know anything about mirror matter... so, maybe by looking at some references, we could find something.

MTd2 said:
I suggested that because I really don't know anything about mirror matter... so, maybe by looking at some references, we could find something.
fair enough :)

I found something:

It seems that anti generation is a mirror generation.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0001323
Mediation of Supersymmetry Breaking via Anti-Generation Fields

Authors: M.Ito (Nagoya Univ), T.Matsuoka (Koggakan Univ)
(Submitted on 31 Jan 2000 (v1), last revised 13 May 2000 (this version, v3))

Abstract: In the context of the weakly coupled heterotic string, we propose a new model of mediating supersymmetry breaking. The breakdown of supersymmetry in the hidden sector is transmitted to anti-generation fields via gravitational interactions. Subsequent transmission of the breaking to the MSSM sector occurs via gauge interactions. It is shown that the mass spectra of superparticles are phenomenologically viable.

It seems Takeo Matsuoka has several papers regarding your question:

http://arxiv.org/find/hep-ph/1/au:+Matsuoka_T/0/1/0/all/0/1

I guess this is also very helpful:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0606202

Mirror particles and mirror matter: 50 years of speculation and search
Authors: L.B. Okun
(Submitted on 19 Jun 2006 (v1), last revised 1 Dec 2006 (this version, v2))

Abstract: This review describes the history of discovery of violation of spatial parity P, charge conjugation parity C, combined parity CP. The hypothesis of existence of mirror particles was called upon by its authors to restore the symmetry between left and right. The review presents the emergence and evolution of the concepts ``mirror particles'' and ``mirror matter''. It could serve as a concise guide to the ``mirror-land''. An important part of the review is the list of about 250 references with their titles.

Last edited:
At the end of the above article, the author gives a warning when searching for mirror matter (p.11, conclusions):

"The extra articles in Google Scholar do not deal with those mirror particles that are the subject of this review. They are “mirror” in a different sense. For instance, the terms “mirror families” or “mirror fermions” refer to hypothetical families of very heavy fermions with reversed isotopic quantum numbers, which are presumed to interact with ordinary photons and gluons."

I guess it is in this sense that Matsuoka treats mirror particles. So, I guess the mirror family that is contained in garrett lisi is not related to the question of electroweak break.

1. What is mirror matter?

Mirror matter, also known as "dark matter," is a hypothetical form of matter that is thought to exist alongside the ordinary matter that makes up the universe. It is called "mirror matter" because it is believed to mirror the properties of ordinary matter, except that it does not interact with light. This means that it cannot be seen or detected using traditional methods.

2. What is supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in physics that suggests that every known particle has a partner particle with different spin properties. This theory proposes that these partner particles, known as "superpartners," could account for the existence of dark matter in the universe.

3. Why are mirror matter and supersymmetry often discussed together?

Mirror matter and supersymmetry are often discussed together because they both offer potential explanations for the existence of dark matter. Supersymmetry predicts the existence of superpartners, which could potentially be the constituents of mirror matter. Therefore, if supersymmetry is true, it could provide evidence for the existence of mirror matter.

4. How would the existence of both mirror matter and supersymmetry impact our understanding of the universe?

If both mirror matter and supersymmetry were proven to exist, it would have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It would confirm the existence of dark matter and provide insights into the nature of this mysterious substance. It would also support the idea that there are more dimensions to the universe than the three we can observe, as supersymmetry requires additional dimensions to work.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of both mirror matter and supersymmetry?

At this point, there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of either mirror matter or supersymmetry. However, scientists are actively searching for these particles using various experimental methods, such as the Large Hadron Collider. So far, these searches have not yielded any definitive results, but ongoing research and advancements in technology may bring us closer to understanding these elusive concepts in the future.