Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb potential as an operator

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I want to calculate the commutator ##{\Large [p_i,\frac{x_j}{r}]}## but I have no idea how I should work with the operator ##{\Large\frac{x_j}{r} }##.
    Is it ## x_j \frac 1 r ## or ## \frac 1 r x_j ##? Or these two are equal?
    How can I calculate ##{\Large [p_i,\frac 1 r]}##?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2
    My first thought is that the momentum operator act as a derivative on a function of the operator r

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Since the ##x_j## commute and ##r^2=\sum x_j^2##, ##x## and ##r## commute. You can differentiate the relation defining ##r## to find the partial derivatives, and then use ##[p_k,f(x)]=-i\hbar \partial f(x)/\partial x_k##. (Don't use ##i## as index if it appears as ##\sqrt{-1}##, too.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. Feb 9, 2016 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I've been able to prove ## [p_k,f(x)]=-i\hbar \frac{df(x)}{dx_k} ## only for the case of ## f(x) ## being a polynomial in ## x_k ##. But here ## \frac 1 r ## doesn't satisfy this condition. Is there a general proof?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  6. Feb 9, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually the differential operator should be of partial one.
    The commutator suggested by Neumaier is applicable to any smooth function ##f(x)##, not only polynomials.

7. Feb 9, 2016 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

## f(x) ## is a function of positon operator, not a smooth function of a real variable!

8. Feb 9, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who said that ##f(x)## is a function of real variable?

9. Feb 9, 2016 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I got the impression that you meant it was trivial since you didn't provide any proof, so I thought that's what you mean. Do you know where can I find a proof?

10. Feb 9, 2016 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider
    $$
    [p,x^n] = -i\hbar nx^{n-1}
    $$
    and the Taylor expansion of ##f(x)##.

11. Feb 9, 2016 #10

ShayanJ

Gold Member

A while ago I asked about this and micromass didn't seem to agree with you.(See here!)
    Actually that's why I didn't think about using the formula in the first place.

12. Feb 9, 2016 #11

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It seems that Taylor expansion of a function operator cannot be taken lightly, I have actually also addressed exactly the same problem on this regard almost a year ago There I asked if a function ##f(x)=(1+x)^{-1}## can be expanded in power terms, as the same function with ##x## real numbers can only have Taylor expansion for a bounded x ##-1<x<1##.

13. Feb 9, 2016 #12

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Is there any proof that doesn't use Taylor expansion of operator functions?

14. Feb 9, 2016 #13

strangerep

Science Advisor

Well, it starts from Taylor expansion of ordinary functions. But yes, one can extend to very general (complex analytic) functions.

To get started, restrict to the case where an (ordinary, polynomial) operator ##A## has an inverse ##A^{-1}##. I.e., ##A A^{-1} = 1##. Then take the commutator with ##p## on both sides, and use the Leibniz rule on the LHS. What do you find? :oldwink:

[And thank you to @A. Neumaier for teaching me this generalized material ages ago.]

15. Feb 9, 2016 #14

ShayanJ

Gold Member

For any operator B, I find ## [B,A]A^{-1}=A[A^{-1},B] ##! So?

16. Feb 9, 2016 #15

strangerep

Science Advisor

Take it further...

When ##A = A(x)## (ordinary polynomial), and ##B = p##, and you've already found that ##[p, A(x)] = A'(x)## (modulo factors of ##i## and ##\hbar##, depending on your conventions),... then what is $$[p, A^{-1}(x)] ~=~ ?$$

17. Feb 9, 2016 #16

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I don't see how ## [p,A]A^{-1}=A[A^{-1},p] ## implies ##[p,A(x)]\propto A'(x)##!

18. Feb 9, 2016 #17

strangerep

Science Advisor

You already had that back in post #4. Now use that to find ##[p,A^{-1}] = ?##

19. Feb 9, 2016 #18

ShayanJ

Gold Member

## [p,A(x)^{-1}]=i\hbar A(x)^{-1} A'(x) A^{-1}(x)##

20. Feb 9, 2016 #19

strangerep

Science Advisor

You keep stopping too soon.

Let ##F(x) := A^{-1}(x)##. From the above, what is ##[p, F(x)] = \; ?##

21. Feb 9, 2016 #20
    Can you be sure that A^-1 commutes with A' ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook