What is the Vector Manipulation Formula for Elastic Scattering Angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses elastic scattering and the use of Coulomb's potential and charge-per-unit-volume in calculating the probability for the transition. It also shows the vector manipulation to calculate q and the final equation for q using the dot product definition.
JD_PM
I was reading *Introduction to Nuclear Physics* by Krane and stumbled on the following (page 47):

In Elastic scattering, the initial electron wave function is of the form ##e^{i k_i r}## (free particle of momentum ##p_i = \hbar k_i##). The scattered electron can also be regarded as a free particle of momentum ##p_f = \hbar k_f## and wave function ##e^{i k_f r}##.

The interaction ##V(r)## converts the initial wave into the scattered wave; the probability for the transition will be proportional to the square of the following quantity:

$$F(q) = \int V(r) e^{iqr}dv$$

Plugging both Coulomb's potential and charge-per-unit-volume into ##F(q)##:

$$F(q) = \int e^{iqr'} \rho(r') dv'$$

Normalizing and knowing that ##\rho(r')## just depends on ##r'## (and not on ##\theta'## nor ##\phi'##) we get:

$$F(q) = \frac{4\pi}{q}\int r' sin (qr') \rho(r') dr'$$

Where ##q = k_i - k_f##. The scattering is elastic, so momentum is conserved (##p_i = p_f##) and ##q## is merely a function of the scattering angle ##\alpha## between ##p_i## and ##p_f##.

**Now a bit of vector manipulation shows:**

$$q = \frac{2p}{\hbar}sin(\frac{\alpha}{2})$$

**I do not know how to get the last expression**

Physics news on Phys.org
Using ##| \mathbf{k}_i | = |\mathbf{k}_f| = k##, calculate ##q^2##:
$$
\begin{align*}
q^2 &= (\mathbf{k}_i - \mathbf{k}_f)^2 \\
&= k^2 - 2 \mathbf{k}_i \cdot \mathbf{k}_f - k^2 \\
&= 2 k^2 (1 - \cos \alpha) \\
&= 4 k^2 \sin^2 (\alpha /2 )
\end{align*}
$$
Taking the square root and using ##p = \hbar k## will give you your equation.

Likes JD_PM
DrClaude said:
Using ##| \mathbf{k}_i | = |\mathbf{k}_f| = k##, calculate ##q^2##:
$$
\begin{align*}
q^2 &= (\mathbf{k}_i - \mathbf{k}_f)^2 \\
&= k^2 - 2 \mathbf{k}_i \cdot \mathbf{k}_f - k^2 \\
&= 2 k^2 (1 - \cos \alpha) \\
&= 4 k^2 \sin^2 (\alpha /2 )
\end{align*}
$$
Taking the square root and using ##p = \hbar k## will give you your equation.

In your third line; I do not see how you get the ##-2k^2 cos \alpha## term

JD_PM said:
In your third line; I do not see how you get the ##-2k^2 cos \alpha## term
$$
\begin{align*}
\mathbf{k}_i \cdot \mathbf{k}_f &= | \mathbf{k}_i | |\mathbf{k}_f| \cos \alpha \\
&= k^2 \cos \alpha
\end{align*}
$$
where ##\alpha## is the angle between ##\mathbf{k}_i## and ##\mathbf{k}_f## (or ##\mathbf{p}_i## and ##\mathbf{p}_f##).

Likes JD_PM
DrClaude said:
$$
\begin{align*}
\mathbf{k}_i \cdot \mathbf{k}_f &= | \mathbf{k}_i | |\mathbf{k}_f| \cos \alpha \\
&= k^2 \cos \alpha
\end{align*}
$$
where ##\alpha## is the angle between ##\mathbf{k}_i## and ##\mathbf{k}_f## (or ##\mathbf{p}_i## and ##\mathbf{p}_f##).
It is the dot product definition! My bad, thanks DrClaude.

Likes Klystron

1. What is elastic scattering angle?

Elastic scattering angle is the angle between the incident and scattered particles in a scattering process, where the total kinetic energy of the particles remains constant.

2. How is elastic scattering angle measured?

Elastic scattering angle can be measured using various techniques such as particle detectors, scattering chambers, and detectors that measure the energy and direction of the scattered particles.

3. What factors affect the elastic scattering angle?

The elastic scattering angle is affected by the mass and velocity of the particles, as well as the interaction forces between them. Other factors such as the shape and size of the scattering target can also influence the scattering angle.

4. What is the importance of elastic scattering angle in scientific research?

Elastic scattering angle is an important parameter in understanding the structure and properties of matter. It is used in various fields of research such as nuclear physics, material science, and particle physics to study the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. Can elastic scattering angle be used to determine the mass of particles?

Yes, elastic scattering angle can be used to determine the mass of particles by analyzing their trajectory and energy in a scattering process. This technique is commonly used in particle accelerators to identify and study different types of particles.