1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law and point charges

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    Two m = 6.0g point charges on 1.0-m-long threads repel each other after being charged to q = 120nC , as shown in the figure.

What is the angle θ? You can assume that θ is a small angle.

25_P58.jpg

Hopefully the image will work.

I feel like something is missing. I've gotten 7.4 and 3.4 degrees - both wrong. I know the sum of the forces in all directions must equal zero. My equations then are:

Fx = -Tsinθ+Felectric
    Fy = Tcosθ - mg

We know m, g, and q. I know that coulomb's law is:

F = Kq^2/r^2 ... but we don't know r.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

You are given the length of the string and the angle. Do you see a right triangle you could make in order to determine r?

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3
    Ah, yes ... a little clearer now.

So sinθ = r/1 = r. Alright let me run with that. Let's see if I can get it now.

Thanks for the nudge!

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

Wait! Are you sure ##\sin{\theta}=r##? Remember ##r## is the distance between the charges...

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5
    When I replied, I realized I made a mistake, like you said. It's not r, but rather r/2!

I was able to boil down the equation to:

(sinθ)^2*(tanθ) = kq^2/(4mg)

I'm pretty sure you can't boil it down anymore than that, so I used my old grapher to find the intersection point between both sides.

Got it!

Thanks a ton Zeta! I appreciate the insight!

7. Sep 16, 2014 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can actually do it withOUT using a graph. Note the hint: you may assume that the angle is small. In that approximation, what can you say about ## \tan \theta ## and ##\sin \theta ## ?

8. Mar 10, 2017 #7
    Can you help? I worked through this and plugged my numbers in but when I try to solve for theta I don't get any kind of real number. Here's what I put in Wolfram Alpha:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...*(8*10^-9)^2/(4*4*10^-3*9.8)+for+x+in+degrees

Thanks!

9. Mar 10, 2017 #8

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Wolfram says:

upload_2017-3-10_4-10-49.png

Can you explain those numbers? I recognize k and g but the rest is a mystery given the data in the problem statement of post #1.

If you are actually working on a different problem with different data please start a new thread of your own. Hijacking old threads is against the rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted