1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's law/Spring constant & Electric field problems

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. A tiny sphere with a charge of q = +8.2 µC is attached to a spring. Two other tiny charged spheres, each with a charge of -4.0 µC, are placed in the positions shown in the figure, in which b = 4.2 cm. The spring stretches 5.0 cm from its previous equilibrium position toward the two spheres. Calculate the spring constant (diagram: http://imgur.com/FKcPp.gif ).

2.Two equal charges (Q = +0.95 nC) are situated at the diagonal corners A and B of a square of side x = 1.0 m as shown in the diagram. What is the magnitude of the electric field at point D (diagram: http://imgur.com/eervv.gif )?

2. Relevant equations
    1. Coulomb's law:
    F = Kq1q2/r^2

Spring Constant:
    F = kx

2. Electric field:
    E=kq/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. q1= 8.2*10^-6 q2= 4.0*10^-6 r= .027?? (I found this using Pythagorean theorem, but not sure if it's right.
    So then, with that I plug it all in in coulumb's law and get 404.49N for one of the spheres and for my vertical component 404.49Nsin(65) (I got 65 from tantheta = .042/.02) = 366.59N
    Because there's 2 of them I multiplied 366.59*2 = 733.18
    733.19 = kx
    733.19 = k(.05)
    k= 14663 N/m But apparently that's not right.

2. I couldn't find a clear similar model for problem two, so this is all I have so far.
    q= .95*10^-6 r= 1m
    plug those variables into E=kq/r2 and I got 8540.5 N/C. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to this, but I don't know where to go on from there.

*EDIT* ok I found what I did wrong with the first problem. I redid the whole problem and my 'r' was incorrect, it was supposed to be .0465m. After I got that, everything else was smooth sailing. Now all I need to do is learn how to do problem 2, which I have no clue. Hopefully someone could help me.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    ok I finally figured out the second question two, it took me a few attempts because I was confused with the SI units. I pretty much used this equation: sqrt (EA^2+EB^2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook