Countably infinite set: odd integers

In summary: When examining a function, it's useful to think about what values the function takes on. In this case, g(k) = -k for all negative odd integers, but it doesn't take on any other values. This is because the domain of g is the set of negative odd integers, but the range of g is the set of positive integers.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Using the definitions, prove that the set of odd integers is countably infinite.

Homework Equations

Definition: The set A is countably infinite if its elements can be put in a 1-1 correspondence with the set of positive integers.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to think of a function that maps the positive integers into the odd integers.

The function I am coming up with is piecewise defined.
I am unsure how to type it, but...
f(n) =
n-2 when n is odd and n>2
-n-1 when n is even
-n when n=1

Testing some values, I got this
f(1)=-1
f(2)=-3
f(3)=1
f(4)=-5
f(5)=3

It looks like this works, but I am unsure how to show a piecewise defined function is 1-1 and onto. I think I am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're fine. Actually, you can define the same function in two pieces: n - 2 for odd n and -n - 1 for even n. Furthermore, n for odd n and -n + 1 for even n works as well.

Same way you should show 1-1 and onto for any other function. Show f(n) = f(m) implies n = m. Then show for every odd integer i, there is a natural number n such that f(n) = i.

Thank you for the response!

Running with your suggestion, showing onto is simply stating that:

Let m be an element of the odd integers.

If n is odd, since the sum of an odd and even is odd, then n+(-2)=m for all odd n in the positive integers.

If n is even, since an odd number is defined by 2x-1 for all x in Z, where n=2x, then -n-1=m for all even n in the positive integers.

Is this a satisfactory proof of why f(n) is onto?

I'm not convinced. It doesn't say why m must equal f(n) for some n, but just that it could.

Consider using n for odd n and -n + 1 for even n as your f. It will lead to a simpler proof.

A strategy for examining piecewise functions can be to look at the pieces of the domain where the function is defined separately. For odd n, where does f map n? What about for even n? Is m guaranteed to achieve either of these types of values, and if so, why?

How is this:
Let m be an element in the set of odd integers.

If n is even, then there is a m such that f(n)=m.

Since m is an odd integer, then there exists an element -m+1=n.

Then f(-m+1)=-(-m+1)+1=m

If n is odd, then m=n for all odd n in the set of positive integers.

Yep you showed that f is onto correctly.

Can you show that f is 1-1, or that f(m)=f(n) implies m=n?

I think so.

Assume f(m)=f(n)

If n is even, then
-n+1=-m+1
-n=-m
n=m

If n is odd, then
n=m

How do you know that m is even when n is even? Likewise, how do you know m is odd when n is odd?

I am still assuming that f(n) is piecewise defined. When n is even, f(n)=-n+1 and when n is odd, then f(n)=n

Showing that f(n)=f(m) for both functions is not enough?

k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

Using the definitions, prove that the set of odd integers is countably infinite.

Homework Equations

Definition: The set A is countably infinite if its elements can be put in a 1-1 correspondence with the set of positive integers.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to think of a function that maps the positive integers into the odd integers.

The function I am coming up with is piecewise defined.
I am unsure how to type it, but...
f(n) =
n-2 when n is odd and n>2
-n-1 when n is even
-n when n=1

Testing some values, I got this
f(1)=-1
f(2)=-3
f(3)=1
f(4)=-5
f(5)=3

It looks like this works, but I am unsure how to show a piecewise defined function is 1-1 and onto. I think I am missing something.
Your function will work just fine, but it's a little complicated.

Consider a function, g(k), going from the odd integers to the positive integers.

You already have f(n) = -n, for n=1, i.e. f(1) = -1. So g(-1)=1, i.e. g(k)=-k, when k=-1. Why not define g(k) = -k for all the negative odd integers. Where would you then map the positive odd integers?

1. What is a countably infinite set?

A countably infinite set is a set that has an infinite number of elements, but those elements can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that the set can be counted, even though it has an infinite number of elements.

2. What are odd integers?

Odd integers are whole numbers that cannot be divided evenly by 2. They are always one less or one more than an even number. For example, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. are all odd integers.

3. How do you know if a set of numbers is countably infinite?

A set of numbers is countably infinite if you can create a one-to-one correspondence between its elements and the natural numbers. This means that every element in the set must have a unique and corresponding natural number, and no element can be skipped.

4. Is the set of odd integers countably infinite?

Yes, the set of odd integers is countably infinite. You can create a one-to-one correspondence between the odd integers and the natural numbers by starting at 1 and counting up by 2 (1, 3, 5, 7, etc.). This shows that every odd integer has a unique and corresponding natural number, and no odd integer is skipped.

5. Can a countably infinite set have different sizes?

No, a countably infinite set cannot have different sizes. All countably infinite sets have the same size as the set of natural numbers, because they can all be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that they all have an infinite number of elements, but the same number of elements as the set of natural numbers.