• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Countour integration (cosx)^2n

• Thread starter Kate2010
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Use contour integrals and justify your steps, find [tex]\int[/tex] cos2nx dx where the integral is from 0 to 2pi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that this integral would be zero, using the residue theorem with residue 0, as I'm integrating round a closed curve. I think this is wrong but I don't know why.

I then decided to write f(x) = cos 2nx = [eix + e-ix / 2i]2n
I could use the substitution z=eix to get f(z) = [1/2i (z + 1/z)]2n, this would have a singularity at z=0 but as z is an exponential it is never 0.

I thought about using a keyhole contour with f(z) as above, but I'm really not sure.

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

Use contour integrals and justify your steps, find [tex]\int[/tex] cos2nx dx where the integral is from 0 to 2pi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that this integral would be zero, using the residue theorem with residue 0, as I'm integrating round a closed curve. I think this is wrong but I don't know why.

I then decided to write f(x) = cos 2nx = [eix + e-ix / 2i]2n
I could use the substitution z=eix to get f(z) = [1/2i (z + 1/z)]2n, this would have a singularity at z=0 but as z is an exponential it is never 0.

I thought about using a keyhole contour with f(z) as above, but I'm really not sure.
It doesn't matter that the eix is never 0 on the contour. All that matters is that the singularity lies inside the closed contour.

Don't forget to convert dx into dz as well. It'll introduce another factor of z.