Couple of problems left over from Chem homework I didn't get.

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with two chemistry problems, one involving a titration to determine the molecular weight of an acid and the other involving a reaction between Fe (II) and Ce (IV). The student attempted to solve the problems but was unable to find the correct answers. They sought assistance in understanding the correct approach for solving each problem.
Radja24
Hi, I'm taking AP Chem this year, and we just had this big assignment. I got through most of it, but here's some I need a walkthrough with.

Homework Statement

A titration is done using .1302M NaOH to determine the molecular weight of an acid. The acid contains one acidic hydrogen per molecule. If 1.863 grams of the acid requires 70.11mL of the NaOH solution, what is the molecular weight of the acid?

Here's the second one:

Fe (II) + Ce (IV) -----> Fe (III) + Ce (III)

What is the concentration of Fe(II) if it requires 21.35mL of .3136 M Ce (IV) to titrate a 10.00mL aliquot to the endpoint?

Attempt:

1st one, I tried to get moles of NaOH and then multiply it by 110 to get 1 mole, then multiply 1.863 by 110...but that makes no sense.
For the second, I tried using MfVf formula for titration, and before that I tried to get the moles of Ce (Iv) once again, and then find the limiting agent and plug and go from there, but I sincerely am stuck.
These were two ones I couldn't get really get after some nonsense work. Please help...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The basic plan for both is answer the question of how many MOLES were titrated?
Each of those analyses use 1:1 mole ratios of titrant to analyte being sought.

(moles per liter of titrant)*(liters of titrant) = moles of titrant

For the second one I did .3136 * .02135 to get .0067 moles Ce (IV)m then multiplied .0067 * .01 Liters to get .000067 moles of titrant, and then I divided that number by .01 L to get .0067 M as my answer

1. What are some common problems that students struggle with in chemistry homework?

Some common problems that students struggle with in chemistry homework include balancing chemical equations, understanding stoichiometry, and identifying types of chemical reactions.

2. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry concepts to better tackle homework problems?

One way to improve understanding of chemistry concepts is to review class notes and textbook material regularly. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a particular problem in my chemistry homework?

If you are stuck on a particular problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps and identifying what specific concept or equation is needed to solve it. If necessary, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

4. Is it okay to use online resources to help me with chemistry homework?

Yes, it is okay to use online resources as long as you are using them to supplement your understanding and not to simply copy answers. It is important to still try to solve problems on your own and use online resources as a guide or reference.

5. How can I manage my time better to ensure that I complete my chemistry homework on time?

To manage time better, it can be helpful to create a schedule or to-do list for completing homework. It may also be beneficial to break up larger assignments into smaller tasks and set aside designated periods of time for working on them.