Solve Titration Mass Problem: Unweighed Sample, 5% Acetic Acid

In summary, the conversation is about determining the accuracy of a manufacturer's claim that their vinegar is 5% acetic acid by weight. The person has used a titration to find the molarity of the vinegar, but is unsure how to use this information to calculate the weight percentage. They eventually realize that they can use the density of the solution (assumed to be 1 g/mL) to calculate the mass of the solution and then use this to determine the weight percentage.
Whalstib

Homework Statement

Hi,
A titration revealed I have .23M acetic acid (HC2H3O2) in a 10.0mL soln.

I was not asked the weigh the sample at any time but our question is:
"The manufacturer of this vinegar claims it is 5% by weight. Ue your results and a density of 1.0g/mL to investigate this claim"

I'm at a loss to determine any results based weight with no weighing involved...I thought the molarity answered any questions about concentration.

Homework Equations

Acetic acid 60.05g/mol
H2O 18.02g/mole
No samples weighed at any time

titration began with 10.0mL vinegar and 10.0mL H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

My only guess is acetic acid is 60.05 g/mol at .23M gives me 13.81 grams times .05 gives me .69 g/mL which would be 5% of the molecular weight...?

I'm I getting close?

Thanks as always!

Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have 5% by weight, how much do you have in 1 litre? Which is how many moles?

See that's confusing because I know the molarity is .23M. So I have .23 moles/liter which is 13.81 g/L acetic acid. That's a fact. This should relate exactly to 5% in manufacturers claim is accurate...

Perhaps that's the point - sometimes claims can be misleading. Or perhaps you made a mistake in your calculation. If there was more acid than claimed I'd look at the ingredients to see if there was any other source but as it's less..?

Whalstib said:
"The manufacturer of this vinegar claims it is 5% by weight. Ue your results and a density of 1.0g/mL to investigate this claim"

I'm at a loss to determine any results based weight with no weighing involved...

You are given volume (10 mL), you are given density... Can't you simply calculate mass of the sample?

--
methods

We're not given the density just molarity. All I can figure since it's vinegar they have told us the soln is HC2H3O2 + H2O with 100% H2O being 1.0g g/mL.

Here's my final answer:
.24M= (.24 moles/L HC2H3O2)(60.05 g/mole)= 14.41g/L= .014g/mL = 1.4% by weight...

For 5% the eqn would be:
.83M= (.83moles/L)(60.05g/mole)=50.0g/L= .05g/mL= 5% by weight...right?

Thanks,

Warren

Whalstib said:
We're not given the density just molarity.

Whalstib said:
Ue your results and a density of 1.0g/mL to investigate this claim"

You were specificially told to use 1.0 g/mL density, aren't you?

Here's my final answer:
.24M= (.24 moles/L HC2H3O2)(60.05 g/mole)= 14.41g/L= .014g/mL = 1.4% by weight...

For 5% the eqn would be:
.83M= (.83moles/L)(60.05g/mole)=50.0g/L= .05g/mL= 5% by weight...right?

And you did exactly what you were expected to do - you used density to calculate mass of the solution (assuming 1 mL is 1 g is exactly the same), yet you claim you don' know how :grumpy:

--

actually...you have done it...:biggrin:

What is a titration mass problem?

A titration mass problem is a type of problem in chemistry that involves calculating the unknown concentration of a substance in a solution by using a known concentration of another substance and measuring the amount of the two substances that react with each other.

What is an unweighed sample in a titration mass problem?

An unweighed sample is a sample of a substance that is not measured by weight. In a titration mass problem, the amount of the unweighed sample is determined by the volume of the solution it is dissolved in and the known concentration of the solution.

What is 5% acetic acid?

5% acetic acid is a solution that contains 5 grams of acetic acid per 100 milliliters of solution. It is commonly used in chemistry experiments and is also known as vinegar.

How do you solve a titration mass problem with an unweighed sample and 5% acetic acid?

To solve this type of titration mass problem, you would first need to measure the volume of the unweighed sample and the volume of the 5% acetic acid solution used in the titration. Then, you would calculate the number of moles of acetic acid in the solution using the known concentration of 5%. Finally, you can use the mole ratio between the two substances to calculate the unknown concentration of the unweighed sample.

What are some common sources of error when solving a titration mass problem?

Some common sources of error in a titration mass problem include inaccurate measurements of volumes, errors in reading the volume on the burette, and incomplete or slow reactions between the two substances. It is important to be careful and precise when conducting a titration to minimize these errors.