Calculate Mass of Iron in Erlenmeyer Flask Experiment 8

• Thread starter higherme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary: The concentration of iron in the 20 ml was 2.410E-4 moles/liter. The concentration of iron in the 250 ml was 2.41E-5 moles/liter.
higherme
here is the question:

The entire contents of one of the Erlenmeyer flasks used in the oxalate-permanganate titration in Experiment 8 was poured into a 250 mL volumetric flask. The volume was made up to 250 mL. A 20 mL portion of the solution was placed in a 100 mL volumetric flask and 20 mL 0.01 M thiocyanate, and 60 mL 0.5 M nitric acid was added. The absorbance of the solution was measured and the intersection plotted on the calibration graph. The concentration of Fe(III) in the solution was found to be 2.410E-4 M. Calculate the mass of iron in the Erlenmeyer flask from Experiment 8. Enter your answer in scientific notation with three significant figures.

My attempt:

calculate the amount of moles in that 100mL flask. so,
since we know the concentration of FeIII is 2.410E-4 M
I multiplied that by the volume of the flask which is 100 mL = 0.1 L
I got 2.41E-5 moles of FeIII

Then i took that mole of FeIII and multiplied it by molar mass of FeIII which is 55.845 g/mol ( unless there is another mass because i know there are Fe II and Fe III)

now i got 1.35 E-3 g of FeIII which is in the the original erlenmeyer flask??

well, my answer was wrong according to the computer.

Physics news on Phys.org
actually, i know what i calculated up there...
the is the grams of FeIII in the 100 ml flask, what i need is the g of FeIII in the 250mL flask.
but...how would i find that from what i have?
M1V1 = M2V2 ??... what about that 20mL that was transferred ?? so confused

can anyone help please?

So far, you just found that 1.35e-3 grams of Fe(III) is in THE 100 ML VOLUMETRIC FLASK - NOT THE ERLENMEYER FLASKS.

Track that to the 20 ml. used for preparing the volumetric solution. This 20 ml came from the 250 ml. solution in the second erlenmeyer flask.
[tex] \[
1.35 \times 10^{ - 3} \,grams\,portionTaken\,\, \times \,\frac{{250\,ml\,originalSample}}{{20\,ml\,portionTaken}}\, = \,grams\,originalSample,\,Fe(III)
\]
[/tex]
The transfer of the original solution in the first erlenmeyer to the 250ml. preparation in the second erlenmeyer flask should not distract you from seeing the dilution progression. The lower accuracy in that step is probably minor. Not too serious a problem for your instructional purposes.

i still don't really get why (250 mL original sample/ 20 mL portion taken) part...

higherme said:
i still don't really get why (250 mL original sample/ 20 mL portion taken) part...

Twenty milliliters of solution was taken from the 250 ml solution in the erlenmeyer flask. The amount of iron was 250/20 times greater than the amount of iron in the 20 ml which was taken.

1. How do you calculate the mass of iron in an Erlenmeyer flask?

To calculate the mass of iron in an Erlenmeyer flask, you will need the following information: the mass of the empty flask, the mass of the flask with the iron sample, and the mass of the flask with the iron oxide product. Subtract the mass of the empty flask from the mass of the flask with the iron sample to find the mass of the iron. Then, subtract the mass of the empty flask from the mass of the flask with the iron oxide product to find the mass of the iron oxide. Finally, subtract the mass of the iron oxide from the mass of the iron to find the mass of iron in the sample.

2. Why is it important to calculate the mass of iron in an Erlenmeyer flask?

Calculating the mass of iron in an Erlenmeyer flask is important because it allows you to determine the amount of iron present in a sample. This information can be useful in many fields of science, including chemistry, environmental science, and materials science.

3. What materials do I need for an Erlenmeyer flask experiment to calculate the mass of iron?

You will need an Erlenmeyer flask, an accurate scale, an iron sample, and an oxidizing agent (such as hydrochloric acid or potassium permanganate) for the experiment. You may also need other materials depending on the specific procedure and method you are following.

4. What is the purpose of using an Erlenmeyer flask in this experiment?

An Erlenmeyer flask is used in this experiment because it is a standard laboratory glassware that is designed for accurate measurements of liquids. It has a conical shape, which allows for easy mixing and swirling of the sample. The narrow neck of the flask also helps to minimize evaporation of the sample during the experiment.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when conducting this experiment?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when conducting an Erlenmeyer flask experiment to calculate the mass of iron. Make sure to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, as some chemicals used in the experiment may be hazardous. Follow the instructions carefully and work in a well-ventilated area. Dispose of any chemicals and materials properly after the experiment is completed.