Couple of Questions Regarding Senior Year in ME

In summary, the student is considering taking six classes for their senior year in Mechanical Engineering, including required and elective courses. They are questioning if this course load is too much and are considering dropping a class to focus on their Senior Design project. They are advised to consult with their school's guidance group for more information.
0Rion
Hello,

1. Could anyone tell me if taking these classes and this many classes is an overload for a Senior Year in Mechanical Engineering? (Fall 2015 Semester)

-Fatigue in Mechanical Design - elective - Manufacturing and Design Concentration - med/hard
-CAD - elective - Manufacturing and Design Concentration - easy/med
-Metal Cutting Principles - elective - Manufacturing and Design Concentration - med/hard
-Linear Systems Theory - required - med/hard
-Design of Machine Elements - required - med/hard
-Senior Design Project - required - will get assigned a project next week (obviously a lot of work) - hard

2. Should I drop a couple and concentrate on Senior Design and get it out of the way, which might force me to extend my graduation by a semester, or get rid of Senior Design and finish up the rest and then take Senior Design next year?

As far as the class difficulty, I do understand its relative from person to person, but that's what I heard form other people.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be talking to the guidance group at your school. They will be able to tell you what is required for your degree, and what is a reasonable workload.

Here we will tell you to treat a university as an all-you-can-learn buffet and cram as much into your brain as you can. We can't really guess how much work each of those classes is. And we don't really know anything about you or your ability to work.

0Rion said:
Hello,

1. Could anyone tell me if taking these classes and this many classes is an overload for a Senior Year in Mechanical Engineering? (Fall 2015 Semester)

-Fatigue in Mechanical Design - elective - Manufacturing and Design Concentration - med/hard
-CAD - elective - Manufacturing and Design Concentration - easy/med
-Metal Cutting Principles - elective - Manufacturing and Design Concentration - med/hard
-Linear Systems Theory - required - med/hard
-Design of Machine Elements - required - med/hard
-Senior Design Project - required - will get assigned a project next week (obviously a lot of work) - hard

2. Should I drop a couple and concentrate on Senior Design and get it out of the way, which might force me to extend my graduation by a semester, or get rid of Senior Design and finish up the rest and then take Senior Design next year?

As far as the class difficulty, I do understand its relative from person to person, but that's what I heard form other people.

Thanks!
assuming 3 credits per class, 18 credits is a lot, especially while you are working on a project at the same time... My advice would be drop a class, only because you want to enjoy your senior year

that being said still follow DEvens advice

1. What is the typical class load for senior year in mechanical engineering?

The typical class load for senior year in mechanical engineering varies depending on the university and program. However, most students can expect to take around 12-18 credit hours per semester, with a mix of core engineering courses and electives.

2. Can I take any non-engineering courses during my senior year?

Yes, most universities allow students to take a few elective courses outside of their major during senior year. This can be a great opportunity to explore other interests and broaden your skillset.

3. Is a senior project required for graduation?

Again, this can vary by university and program. Some schools may require a senior project or thesis, while others may offer it as an optional course. Be sure to check with your academic advisor to determine the requirements for your specific program.

4. Are there any specific courses or skills I should focus on during senior year?

As a senior in mechanical engineering, it's important to have a strong foundation in core engineering principles and skills. However, it's also a good idea to focus on courses or projects that align with your career goals. For example, if you're interested in working in the automotive industry, taking courses in automotive engineering or completing a project related to that field can be beneficial.

5. What should I expect after graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering?

After graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering, you can expect to have a wide range of job opportunities available to you. Mechanical engineers work in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and manufacturing. You may also choose to pursue further education, such as a master's degree or Ph.D. in a specialized area of mechanical engineering.