1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Engineering Senior Design Project Ideas

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    Hey guys, I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering in the UK. For my final year, we have to basically invent or design something that hasn't been invented before or improve something that's already been invented.Now unlike my cousin who's studying Aerospace Engineering in the US, he told me that for his senior project, he will be working with a group of 5 people, who specialize in different disciplines of engineering like electrical, industrial, mechanical etc. So basically I have to work alone on my final year project. I would say I have Intermediate knowledge on Auto Cad,Mechanics, Materials and Manufacturing. What do you guys suggest ? and the costs of whatever I work on is coming out of my pocket. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me an Idea that's possible within the limitations of the specialties I mentioned above.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does your program not provide the possibility of doing a team assignment? It can be valuable to work on a team (especialIy a multidisciplinary team) and you may achieve more through teamwork and brainstorming.

That being said if you must work alone, I would recommend choosing a project in a hobby area of yours. Try to choose something in an area of interest that has the possibility of design optimization.

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    Does the project require you make a working model? Got plenty of ideas to toss at you, but should be something in your area of interest. Estimated time you are expected to apply to project? When is it due? Budget limits?

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4
    Yes the project requires a working model, the deadline is may 2015 and my budget is under $1600

6. Oct 22, 2014 #5
    That's plenty of time and $$, What about an estimate for how much time you want to spend on it. Ball park, say 40 hrs, 100, 400 , etc.

Are you more interested in a design will multiple parts and tolerating aspects, or maybe a design dealing with metal forming and material compression limits.

Do you want design to include electrical hardware or just mechanical?

I got one design in my list of things to do is a HV tazer spear tip, looking to paralyze the nervous system of large fish when they are shot with a pole spear. Fish can get over 500 lbs. Not that is the project, but I have a list of concepts and ideas that are not typical.

What are the baseline rules for your project, Working with me or my buddy engineers against what is allowed?

7. Oct 22, 2014 #6
    Well I'm looking to spend around 360 hours or 30 weeks and there are no rules and restrictions, I can get help from other engineering students but projects are individual and I don't mind working with electrical hardware along with mechanical and a design with multiple components with tolerating aspects. By the way I'm not allowed to make ammunition lool.

8. Oct 22, 2014 #7
    Ammunition means use of gunpowder? Not what I was considering., but would be fun as well. Polespears and spearguns hopefully not considered a no no. 360 hours, going to have to consider one of the harder design challenges.

My BSME bud Joe, who also has a machine shop in his garage should be back in a few days from vacation trip. He might have some different ideas for you to choose from. Joe is worse than me for crazy ideas.

Since you are new to the prototype design mode, Let me consider it will take you 180 hrs of work, the 180 additional hours will towards learning and redo type activities.

Be a good idea for you to wear the project manager cap as well, typically you don't learn this in school but on the job. Planning, Estimating, and Executing a project is just as important as doing the technical fun stuff. I would recommend this be added to the scope.

9. Oct 22, 2014 #8
    I don't know the exact policy on spear guns and gun powder but so far attending the university's senior engineering project events for the past couple of years, I haven't seen anything like that or anything that resembles a weapon of any kind and definitely work experience I think is as important as class work. I'm also applying for an internship which can only help me do a better job with this senior project and time management skills. I'm really looking forward to what you guys suggest and thank you for contributing so far.

10. Oct 22, 2014 #9
    Weapon is such a general term. All of these items are weapons; pencil, baseball bat, roll on coins, aluminum flashlight, screw driver, almost anything.

Most in general public have no clue what a speargun or pole spear is. Call the speargun "a Stainless steel shaft acceleration device."

If you leave the word gun out of it it will confuse them. Don't know about UK, but these tools for getting fish are not regulated her, except by Game and Fish rules.

Could go with something different as well, like a micrometer to measure multi-start threads. Not sure it's even possible.

11. Nov 13, 2014 #10
    Did you come up with a concept? Not heard from you in a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook