Physics/Mechanical senior project brainstorming

In summary, the speaker is studying Physics for a B.S. and plans to pursue a masters in ME. They are starting their senior project in physics and looking for a project that combines both fields. They are interested in using programming skills, data analysis, engineering design, and stress analysis in their project, potentially involving designing and fabricating a mechanical device and using Arduino and C code for data collection and analysis. They are seeking ideas for a practical application of these skills, with the goal of gaining experience for future internships or jobs. One suggestion is to simulate and fabricate mechanical structures to validate simulated results, as this is important in the real world.
mbigras
I'm studying Physics for a B.S. but intend to pursue a masters in ME. Next year I'm going to start my senior project in physics but would like to start doing some research and brainstorming as soon as possible.

What I'm trying to do is choose a project that can provide the means to bring all these different pieces together in a modular way. Some of my own brainstorming:

Physics and Mechanical related project that pushes me to use practical skills
I'd like to use some:
-Programming skills, especially C
-Plotting and Data analysis, especially Matlab
-Engineer design, Solid Works
-Maybe some stress analysis

Something like: design some sort of mechanical device in Solid Works, fabricate it, use an arduino with some C code to collect data and analyze the data in Matlab.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about a practical application of these ideas. I haven't worked in a technical internship yet so I'm having trouble coming up with a concrete idea for what the actual project should be, even though I know what tools I'd like to use. My hope is to develop some skills working on this project that could be applied to an internship or job.

Physics news on Phys.org
One idea might be to simulate some mechanical structures (like bridge trusses, or vehicle frames), and then fabricate the structures and instrument them and validate your simulations for vibrational modes, stress/strain characteristics, etc.

In the real world, validating your simulated results is very important. :smile:

thanks for the input. This lead me to some interesting tutorials on vibrational analysis with solid works!

What is a senior project in physics/mechanical engineering?

A senior project in physics/mechanical engineering is a culminating project that students in their final year of undergraduate studies complete to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in the field. It typically involves designing, building, and testing a physical system or conducting a research project related to physics or mechanical engineering.

How do I choose a topic for my senior project?

Choosing a topic for your senior project in physics/mechanical engineering can be a challenging task. Some students choose to work on a project that aligns with their research interests, while others choose a project that addresses a real-world problem or fills a gap in existing research. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that challenges you to apply your knowledge and skills.

What are some examples of senior projects in physics/mechanical engineering?

Examples of senior projects in physics/mechanical engineering include designing and building a renewable energy system, conducting research on the properties of new materials, developing a prototype for a new technology, or analyzing the behavior of a mechanical system using computer simulations. The possibilities are endless, and the project can be tailored to your interests and goals.

How do I get started with my senior project?

The first step in starting your senior project is to brainstorm potential topics and ideas. You can consult with your professors, research current trends and advancements in the field, and talk to other students who have completed senior projects. Once you have a topic, you will need to create a project plan, gather necessary resources and materials, and start working on your project.

What skills can I gain from completing a senior project in physics/mechanical engineering?

Completing a senior project in physics/mechanical engineering can help you develop a variety of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, project management, communication, and technical skills. It also allows you to apply your theoretical knowledge to a practical project, which can be valuable for future academic or professional pursuits.