Courses outside of the standard ME curric. that can be beneficial to the degree?

In summary, the speaker is a former business major who is now studying ME and has extra time in their schedule. They are seeking suggestions for courses that would be beneficial towards their degree and career. Suggestions mentioned include learning a second language, programming, and statistics.
Brilliant!
A little background on my situation:

I was a business major for 3 years before I switched to ME. As such, I've completed my school's core curriculum and have some spare time now that I'm in the ME program, being able to take only 8 - 12 hours per semester if I stay within the curriculum.

So, do you have any suggestions for some courses that fall outside the scope of the degree that can be helpful towards the degree/career? Learning a second language is an obviously good choice, but I'm looking for other suggestions before I enroll in Spanish courses.

So, how about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Brilliant! said:
So, do you have any suggestions for some courses that fall outside the scope of the degree that can be helpful towards the degree/career?
Take only 8-12 hours a semester 'cause it's good to have lots of time to put into the coursework. You may find that more than three ME classes may break you.
As for other courses, well I don't know what you've taken or what you have to take for your degree.
A programming course would probably be helpful, as most of my ME friends have had to do programming of one sort or another over their academic career, but my school requires it for MEs. One friend in ME wishes he had taken statistics, 'cause it's helpful in all sorts of odd ways. A basic understanding of circuits is often helpful for projects, but again that's a courses that's required at my school.

I believe that expanding your knowledge and skills beyond the standard ME curriculum is always beneficial. While learning a second language can certainly be a valuable asset in any career, there are other courses that can also enhance your ME degree and career prospects.

One option could be taking courses in project management, as this skill is highly sought after in the engineering field. You could also consider taking courses in computer programming or data analysis, as these skills are becoming increasingly important in the industry.

Another suggestion could be to take courses in technical writing or communication. As an engineer, being able to effectively communicate complex ideas and data is crucial, and these courses can help improve your written and oral communication skills.

If you are interested in pursuing a career in research and development, taking courses in materials science or advanced mathematics could also be beneficial.

Additionally, you could consider taking courses in environmental sustainability or renewable energy, as these topics are becoming increasingly important in the field of engineering.

Ultimately, the key is to choose courses that align with your interests and career goals. By expanding your knowledge and skills in these areas, you will not only enhance your ME degree, but also make yourself a more well-rounded and competitive candidate in the job market.

1. What types of courses outside of the standard ME curriculum can be beneficial to my degree?

Courses in computer science, business, and communication can be beneficial to an ME degree. Additionally, courses in materials science and sustainability can also enhance your understanding of the field.

2. How can taking courses outside of the standard ME curriculum enhance my job prospects?

Employers value well-rounded individuals with a diverse set of skills. By taking courses outside of the standard ME curriculum, you can demonstrate your versatility and adaptability, making you a more attractive candidate for job opportunities.

3. Are there any specific courses that are highly recommended for ME students?

Courses in project management, technical writing, and programming are highly recommended for ME students. These courses can help you develop skills that are essential for success in the field.

4. Will taking courses outside of the standard ME curriculum delay my graduation?

It depends on the specific courses you take and how they fit into your schedule. However, many universities offer summer and online courses that can help you stay on track for graduation while still taking additional courses outside of the standard curriculum.

5. How can I ensure that the courses I choose outside of the standard ME curriculum will count towards my degree?

Before enrolling in any courses outside of the standard curriculum, it is important to consult with your academic advisor. They can help you determine which courses will count towards your degree requirements and how they can fit into your overall academic plan.