1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helpful courses outside of the physics degree requirements

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum and I gotta say I'm glad I found it because boy do I have questions. Basically, I'm a sophomore in college, I just switched my major from finance to physics and I'm stoked. I just finished the pre-req to intro physics which was Calculus so this upcoming semester I can finally take my first physics class. Unfortunately I still have a lot of room in my schedule and I was wondering what kind of courses outside of the requirements would be beneficial to me in the future. My advisor mentioned it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some CS (computer science). I'm jsut looking for some recommendations,

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have a smart advisor and you should listen to him/her.

Knowing how to program is not only beneficial to you as a physics major, but also increase your "employability" should you want to pursue a different career than physics. Take classes in numerical analysis as a follow-up if possible.

Zz.

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    Computer science would be a very good idea. Learning how to program and understand computers at a fundamental level is pretty important these days.

Are you up to speed on all your math courses? What about taking some courses on subjects you enjoy rather than feel pressured to take? For example, Steve Jobs attributed his success to taking a calligraphy course.

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4
    I didn't know that that's very interesting. I'll keep an open mind when picking classes.

Also, we have a class called Computing for science. Is it a no brainer to take a course like that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook