Helpful courses outside of the physics degree requirements

In summary, the individual is a sophomore in college who recently switched their major from finance to physics. They have completed the pre-requisite for introductory physics and are looking for recommendations on courses outside of their requirements that would be beneficial for their future. Their advisor suggested taking computer science courses and they are open to other suggestions as well. They are interested in taking classes that they enjoy rather than feeling pressured to take certain courses. They also mention a course called Computing for Science and wonder if it would be a good choice.
kkefalas
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and I got to say I'm glad I found it because boy do I have questions. Basically, I'm a sophomore in college, I just switched my major from finance to physics and I'm stoked. I just finished the pre-req to intro physics which was Calculus so this upcoming semester I can finally take my first physics class. Unfortunately I still have a lot of room in my schedule and I was wondering what kind of courses outside of the requirements would be beneficial to me in the future. My advisor mentioned it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some CS (computer science). I'm just looking for some recommendations,

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kkefalas said:
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and I got to say I'm glad I found it because boy do I have questions. Basically, I'm a sophomore in college, I just switched my major from finance to physics and I'm stoked. I just finished the pre-req to intro physics which was Calculus so this upcoming semester I can finally take my first physics class. Unfortunately I still have a lot of room in my schedule and I was wondering what kind of courses outside of the requirements would be beneficial to me in the future. My advisor mentioned it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some CS (computer science). I'm just looking for some recommendations,

Thanks!

You have a smart advisor and you should listen to him/her.

Knowing how to program is not only beneficial to you as a physics major, but also increase your "employability" should you want to pursue a different career than physics. Take classes in numerical analysis as a follow-up if possible.

Zz.

kkefalas said:
My advisor mentioned it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some CS (computer science)

Computer science would be a very good idea. Learning how to program and understand computers at a fundamental level is pretty important these days.

kkefalas said:
I'm just looking for some recommendations,

Are you up to speed on all your math courses? What about taking some courses on subjects you enjoy rather than feel pressured to take? For example, Steve Jobs attributed his success to taking a calligraphy course.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you up to speed on all your math courses? What about taking some courses on subjects you enjoy rather than feel pressured to take? For example, Steve Jobs attributed his success to taking a calligraphy course.

I didn't know that that's very interesting. I'll keep an open mind when picking classes.

Also, we have a class called Computing for science. Is it a no brainer to take a course like that?

1. What are some examples of helpful courses to take outside of the physics degree requirements?

Some examples of helpful courses to take outside of the physics degree requirements are computer science, mathematics, engineering, statistics, and astronomy.

2. How will taking courses outside of the physics degree requirements benefit my career as a physicist?

Taking courses outside of the physics degree requirements can broaden your knowledge and skill set, making you a more well-rounded and versatile physicist. It can also provide you with a different perspective and approach to problem-solving.

3. Are there any specific courses that are highly recommended for physics majors to take outside of their degree requirements?

Yes, courses in computer programming, advanced mathematics, and data analysis are highly recommended for physics majors to take outside of their degree requirements. These skills are becoming increasingly important in the field of physics.

4. Will taking courses outside of the physics degree requirements extend my time in college?

It depends on your course load and how you plan your schedule. If you plan carefully and take courses during summers or overload in some semesters, it is possible to complete the courses without extending your time in college. However, it is important to prioritize and make sure you are still meeting the requirements for your physics degree.

5. Can I take courses outside of the physics degree requirements for credit?

Yes, as long as the courses are approved by your university and count towards your overall credit requirements for graduation. It is important to check with your academic advisor to make sure the courses you are interested in will count towards your degree.