1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covergence/Divergence of an Infinite Series

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does the infinite series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{n^(1 + (\frac{1}{n}))})[/tex] converge?

2. Relevant equations
    Power series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^p}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the fact that for a power series, if p>1 the series will converge.
    Since [tex]{n^(1+\frac{1}{n})}[/tex] will always be greater than n, the series will converge.

Is this correct? If not, can someone lead me in the right direction please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex] become when you make the substitution [itex]m=n+1[/itex] (and hence [itex]n=m-1[/itex])?

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    Sorry if the text isn't clear - the denominator is n^(1 + 1/n).

5. Mar 18, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case, your argument is invalid since the exponent depends on the summation index (It's true that [itex]1+\frac{1}{n}\geq 1[/itex], but it isn't a constant value like the [itex]p[/itex] in your power series convergence test).

You will have to find another convergence test to use instead.

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    Sorry but do you have any in mind? The only ones I know are the comparison, ratio, and integral tests, and the function makes these tests impractical (at least I think so).

7. Mar 18, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the comparison test is your best bet here.

8. Mar 18, 2010 #7
    I thought about that, as in the power series. Since the exponent on n is between 1 and 2, the series sits right in between a diverging (exponent 1) and a converging (exponent 2) series. Wouldn't that be inconclusive?

9. Mar 18, 2010 #8
    Sorry for the double post, but if I use the limit comparison test, letting the series {a_n} be the series of the question and {b_n} be 1/n, then the limit as n approaches infinity of a_n/b_n would = 1, but since the series {b_n} does not converge, then {a_n} does not converge as a series either. Is that it?

10. Mar 18, 2010 #9

Gib Z

Homework Helper

If the ratio exists and is non zero, then a_n and b_n converge or diverge together. You limit is 1 (non zero) so your deduction is correct.

11. Mar 18, 2010 #10
    Thank you guys so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook