Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coveting ODE to polar coordinates

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    Hi, I was wondering how to go about converting a homogeneous ODE of the form M(x,y)dx+N(x,y)dy=0 (where, by definition of a homogeneous ODE, M(tx,ty)=(t^a)M(x,y) and N(tx,ty)=(t^a)N(x,y) ) to polar coordinates. I wan to do this because using substitution of y/x=u and dy/dx=u+xdu/dx to make the ODE separable does not always result in the easiest integration towards the final steps. I figure by making x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ, I can completely isolate and remove r and make the ODE separable in terms of r and θ. I am completely able to convert half of the equation, but have very little idea how to transform dy/dx into something in terms of r and θ. Can anyone explain a little on how to to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are "coveting" a differential equation? Oh, you shouldn't do that!

You convert from one variable to another (one coordinate system to another) by using the chain rule.

Since [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]dy= sin(\theta)dr+ r cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex] and since [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]dx= cos(\theta)dr- r sin(\theta)d\theta[/itex]. Also, of course, convert x and y in M(x,y) and N(x,y) into r and [itex]\theta[/itex].

I am wondering why you think converting to polar coordinates will allow you to "completely isolate and remove r" without giving specific M and N. Obviously whether you can, in fact, remove r, depends on what M and N are.
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    In the case I'm working with, r will be canceled out, obviously except for the r which has come from the product rule when obtaining the conversion of dx and dy. If you would like to see a particular case then I would be more than glad to offer one.

(2*y^4 - 9*x^2*y^2-20*x^4)dx - (3*x*y^3)dy = 0
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?