Crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels

• Thread starter Urmi Roy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of hoop stress and axial stress in a pressure vessel with an arbitrary shape. It is stated that the formula for hoop stress is p(A) = h(perimeter x thickness) and this is based on the general procedure used for cylindrical pressure vessels. The conversation also includes a figure of two pressure vessels, one with an arbitrary shape and the other with an ellipsoidal shape. The speaker asks for a description of the procedure for integrating in an ellipsoidal vessel.
Urmi Roy
If we were to calculate the hoop stress and axial stress in any arbitrarily shaped pressure vessel, is it correct to say (assuming internal pressure=p...and denoting hoop stress as h)
that

p(A)= h(perimeter x thickness)...

I'm saying this on the basis of the general procedure used for cylindrical pressure vessels...

In the figure attached, the first is an absolutely arbitrarily shaped vessel, whereas the second is an ellipsoidal vessel...could you describe it in relation to my figures?

Attachments

• crazily shaped pressure vessels..JPG
    crazily shaped pressure vessels..JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 473
Engineering news on Phys.org
ok..so if i had an ellipsoidal vessel, could you tell me how i could begin integrating...just the basic procedure?

1. What is a crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessel?

A crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessel is a container or structure that is designed to hold fluids or gases under high pressure, but has a non-standard or irregular shape. This can include vessels with curved, twisted, or asymmetrical walls.

2. What are some common applications of crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels?

Crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and oil and gas. They are used to store and transport liquids or gases at high pressures, and can also be used for applications such as heat exchangers and chemical reactors.

3. How are crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels designed and manufactured?

The design and manufacturing process for crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels involves careful analysis and calculations to ensure that the vessel can withstand the desired pressure without any deformation or failure. Advanced computer modeling and simulations are often used to optimize the design and ensure its safety before production.

4. What are some challenges associated with using crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels?

One of the main challenges of using crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels is ensuring their structural integrity and safety. The irregular shape and thin walls can make them more susceptible to stress concentrations and buckling under high pressure. Additionally, the manufacturing process can be complex and expensive, requiring specialized equipment and techniques.

5. How can the performance of crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels be improved?

To improve the performance of crazily shaped thin walled pressure vessels, materials with high strength and ductility are often used. Additionally, design modifications such as reinforcing ribs or thicker walls can help distribute stress more evenly and increase the vessel's resistance to deformation. Regular maintenance and inspections are also crucial to ensure the vessel's continued safety and performance.