Capped pressure vessel - strength and stability

In summary, the conversation revolves around the availability of equations for stress and strain in closed cylindrical pressure vessels, both with capped ends and subjected to axial compression. It is mentioned that most mechanics of materials books only provide formulas for stress and strain in open vessels, but the 5th Edition of Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain does have a section on this topic. The 9th Edition is recommended as a valuable resource. It is also suggested to look at Den Hartog's Advance Strength of Materials text for further discussion on this topic.
FEAnalyst
TL;DR Summary
What are the formulas for calculation of strengtg and stability of capped cylndrical pressure vessel?
Hi,
in mechanics of materials books one may easily find fomulas for stress and strain in thin- and thick-walled cylindrical pressure vessels subjected to internal pressure. However, it is assumed that they are open. So what are the formulas for stress and strain in capped vessels (with flat or hemi-spherical end caps)?

My second question is also related to cylindrical pressure vessels but subjected to axial compression. Again, books provide equations for critical buckling load in such case but can it be calculated for closed-end vessels too (like a soda can)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My 5th Edition of Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain has a whole section on exactly that problem. I see that the current 9th Edition has 300 more pages than the 5th Edition, so should be an even better resource. Given the questions you have been asking, I highly recommend that you get a copy of Roark for your library.

I already bought this book (newest version) and will get it soon. But, from what I’ve seen in older releases, there are only tables with formulas for open pressure vessels. Maybe capped ends are mentioned in the text before the tables. What about the buckling of closed cylindrical shell subjected to axial compression ? I’m almost sure that books provide equations only for open vessels. Especially that they are based on Timoshenko’s Theory of Elastic Stability where closed ends are not included, if I remember correctly.

I suggest the OP also look at Den Hartog's Advance Strength of Materials text. I seem to recall considerable discussion of this problem there.

Likes FEAnalyst

1. What is a capped pressure vessel?

A capped pressure vessel is a container or tank that is designed to hold fluids or gases under high pressure. It has a sealed top or cap to prevent the contents from escaping.

2. How is the strength of a capped pressure vessel determined?

The strength of a capped pressure vessel is determined by its material properties, such as tensile strength and yield strength, as well as its design and construction. It must be able to withstand the internal pressure without deforming or rupturing.

3. What factors affect the stability of a capped pressure vessel?

The stability of a capped pressure vessel is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the vessel, the material it is made of, the thickness of its walls, and the pressure it is subjected to. The presence of any defects or imperfections in the vessel can also impact its stability.

4. How can the stability of a capped pressure vessel be improved?

The stability of a capped pressure vessel can be improved by using stronger materials, increasing the thickness of the walls, and incorporating reinforcing structures such as ribs or rings. Proper design and construction techniques, as well as regular maintenance and inspections, can also help ensure the stability of the vessel.

5. What are the safety considerations for using a capped pressure vessel?

When using a capped pressure vessel, it is important to follow safety protocols and guidelines to prevent accidents or failures. This includes proper installation and maintenance, monitoring pressure levels, and using appropriate safety devices such as relief valves. It is also crucial to have a thorough understanding of the vessel's capabilities and limitations, and to only operate it within its designated parameters.