Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cream of tartar and baking soda

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    what happens when you mix cream of tartar, baking soda, and water together?
    (i've never had time to try this):confused:

KHC4H4O6 + NaHCO3 + H2O = ???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What cream of tartar is (chemically)?

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    Cream of tartar is KHC4H4O6

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4

Borek

I am not asking for formula, I am asking for properties.

Even checking the correct chemical name (not a common name) can give you a hint.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5
    Potassium bitartrate, also known as potassium hydrogen tartrate, has formula KC4H5O6, is a byproduct of winemaking. In cooking it is known as cream of tartar. It is the potassium acid salt of tartaric acid, a carboxylic acid. Also is, according to NIST, used as a primary reference standard for a pH buffer. Using an excess of the salt in water, a saturated solution is created with a pH of 3.557 at 25 °C. Upon dissolution in water, potassium bitartrate will dissociate into acid tartrate, tartrate, and potassium ions. Thus, a saturated solution creates a buffer with standard pH. Before use as a standard, it is recommended that the solution be filtered or decanted between 22 °C and 28 °C.[5]

Potassium carbonate can be made by igniting cream of tartar producing "pearl ash". This process is now obsolete but produced a higher quality (reasonable purity) than "potash" extracted from wood or other plant ashes.
    from Wikipedia
    I hope this helps :smile:

7. Sep 9, 2012 #6

Borek

It was you who asked the question, so apparently it didn't help as of yet :tongue:

or

Both names show it is not fully neutralized acid. It is even enforced by this statement:

Low pH, it is an acidic solution.

What kind of reaction could you expect when you mix an acid with a hydrogen carbonate?

8. Sep 10, 2012 #7
    umm... it makes CO2 or some other gas? :uhh:.. and fizzes?

9. Sep 10, 2012 #8

Borek

No other gas, just CO2 and water. And some fizzing.

Wasn't that hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook