Creating a stable 5V DC supply out of 6 V (RMS) AC

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
63 replies · 10K views
First of all, I would like to thank @Borek who, in post #2, mentioned the DSO138 oscilloscope. The device has really been very helpful.

Next, I have performed the experiment, based on the circuit I had posted here. These are the results from the oscilloscope:

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 2.22.03 PM.jpeg

Output of full wave rectifier bridge
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-17 at 2.22.03 PM (1).jpeg

After passing the output through the voltage regulator
with necessary filter capacitors

​
I can see that the average voltage is 4.43 V, the maximum being 4.83 V. 5 V is not reached. Is this an accuracy error of the oscilloscope?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Does the first picture look like full wave rectification? Check your diode orientation.